pastic off gassing

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Paul Wheaton, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

In the last year I've heard more and more about concerns of plastic off gassing. The most troubling being a report on NPR I heard a couple of nights ago. Apparently, a guy wrote a book about all sorts of toxic stuff that is causing all sorts of health problems. When asked to list the "most wanted", I think the second item in his list was the plastic commontly used for sports water bottles. That seems like a pretty common sort of plastic for beverages.

It makes me wonder about the plastic that bottled water comes in. And the plastic in the plumbing.

Anybody know much about this sort of thing?

2. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

I thought you only get off gassing when the plastic was heated. The number on the bottom tells you how bad it can get. Thats why I write to all the companies that put food in plastic to be heated and complain when the number is only 1. Like Swanson and Gordons. I mean, that's not even caring one bit about the consumer. My Mom eats a lot of "nuked" food, and I am watching her to see if she gets sick.

But I quit using the plastic water squirters for Hockey, something about those made me suspicious.
    Whats the name of the book? Or the Author? I wanna read it.

3. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i have heard of out gassing from synthetics like that in carpet and from the glues in osb and paneling. in a new and air-tight home i heard this is a hazard.

4. Paul Wheaton

I found the transcript for what I heard at http://www.loe.org/shows/segments.htm?programID=05-P13-00048&segmentID=1

Here's the blurb that really got me:

CURWOOD: Okay, so as a consumer where would I run into these chemicals?

MYERS: You're going to run into them when you buy and use a bottle made out of polycarbonate, for example, the rigid, really popular sports bottles that virtually every college kid has. The way those are made guarantees that this compound called bisphenol A will leach into the water. And there's a whole new generation of science that's unfolded in the last ten years that has transformed what scientists understand about the risk of that chemical.

----------

Over the last year, I've heard a lot of stuff from a lot of places about plastics and our food/water. I'm thinking that maybe I should be making some changes ...

5. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Your pvc pipes, I believe, generally take about a year to finish outgassing.

The worst case is moving into a new modular or mobile home. The materials are all outgassing, carpeting, cabinets, paint, etc. My sister's secretary's baby became very sick and has stayed sick since they moved into their new modular.

6. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

Plastic, another gift from the struggling oil industry :grit:

7. mikellmikell

mikellmikell Well-Known Member

The moral of the story would to never buy anything new.

mikell

8. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

Struggling??

9. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

I work in the air toxics industry, what would you like to know? :)

What do you think "new car" smell is? It's just plastic off gassing.

Where do you find the highest concentrations of toxic air pollutants? Inside peoples homes. Inside the office is #2. From plastics to textiles to paints, they all off gas.

Formaldehyde is the sleeping giant in the world of off gassing. And you breath a lot more of it than you realize.

10. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

what about the film on your windshield that develops over time? I used to think it was from my cigs...but I quit over 2 years ago. It still happens.
    what are the signs and symptoms of sickness you can develop?

11. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

12. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

Whether it's off gassing or leaching, the plasticizers which make plastic flexible, account for that plastic taste when you drink anything out of a plastic container. I have to shake my head when I see folks drinking "healthy" water out of plastic bottles. I suspect it's not as healthy as they think.

13. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

We started buying bottled water when the water out of the tap started smelling like chlorine, not to mention occassionally being yellow. At one point, my tongue developed sores all over it from the chlorine.
    You've got to have water, so I started buying bottled. If you don't have a well, you decide between your other choices.
    (I do hate that "new" smell.)
    mary

14. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

Stop listening to NPR will solve the problem.

15. Paul Wheaton

I suppose shutting off media might lead to an "ignorance is bliss" sort of thing. But I think stuff like this forum and NPR have been great at teaching me stuff.

Besides, NPR was about the fourth source that mentioned this issue. The previous sources were folks I knew. So this was the first that pointed to some research.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm shifting away from plastics ...

16. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Don't worry, unless the price of oil goes down, no one will be able to afford plastic anything.

Spent a lot of time the other day while doing my daily chores, etc. being aware of what was made of plastic, or had plastic parts. It's mind boggling.

Actually it's anything that's made in a mold from a hydrocarbon reisn.

Autos, pens, electrical wire casing, plumbing, containers, shot gun shells, computers, TV's, clocks, chain saw case, tool handles... the list is endless.

I guess the up side is that me children will be wealthy as I save everything, and everything plastic will become rare antiques. :rolleyes:

17. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Put on a plastic dressing like Armorall and you can get even more a film on your windshield. Generally, it's evaporating solvents, usually hydrocarbons.

Typical reactions are of an alergic type. Headaches being #1, rash like itching being #2. Long term responses vary tremendously depending in part on your sensitivity, exposure duration, and the specific fumes.

If the filming is hapening more on your side of the car, you are the culprit. Your breath can be an embarassing source. So can your clothing.

18. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Yes, I was sick for a year in our new Modular. They use a LOT of glue in a Modular. I didn't have it wrapped so it would not be airtight, but I was still sick. My headache would go away the minute I stepped outside, I knew it was the house..

Oh and on formadlehyde, did you know those nice permanent press sheets are made that way with formaldehyde? Enjoy your poisoned nights sleep!