Passion flower

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by countrygrrrl, Jun 8, 2004.

1. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I have passion flower growing all over my property. It's been self-seeding over the years, and most of it is growing in the middle of fields, although I've managed to encourage some of it along fences.

Last year, I gathered the seed pods, as I planned to put them where I want the passion flower to grow. But the pods rotted almost immediately. :confused:

This year, I want to try again, except gather even more of the seed pods, especially from the passion flower out in the surround field -- I'm inching my way out into the pastures to clean them up (it's multiflora-rock-junk-poison ivy heaven out there :no: ), which means whacking a bunch of the passion flower.

But i don't want the seed pods to rot on me again --- I'd like to do it right this time - any hints?

BTW, I'm pretty sure last year, I picked the pods either right before or right after they fell off the stems --- they were pretty dry --- ???

2. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in the south, we call them "May-Pops". I have them growing everywhere in my yard because my DH's great neice came over and Anut Debbie (me) showed her how to throw them on the ground and hear them make a loud "Pop" sound!

If you wait until they are ripe (soft but not mushy to the touch)to pick them and just throw them on the fence line or place them on the fence line--they will live. Don't baby them... One seed pod has 100's of seeds so just sorta line them up and wait until next spring...

3. heelpin

heelpin Well-Known Member

I've never tried to save them but you might need to take the seed out when you pick them, wash and dry.

4. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

May pops! :haha: No wonder no one here has any idea what I'm talking about!

They're definitely hardy and I have them everywhere. If I could get all the ones growing out in the fields to grow along the fences, boy would it be an amazing thing to see. :)

Thanks you all! :D