Passion Flower question

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by Dahc, May 29, 2006.

1. Dahc

Dahc Don't Tase me, bro!?!

I have been wanting to buy some passion flower seeds or starts and from what I read passiflora incarnata is what I want. I did find a website offering seeds from many different "Passion flowers" but not the incarnata although they use it's picture. They offer these:

P.Adularia
    P biflora
    P.capsularis
    P. coriacea
    P.coriacea Wild collected
    P.edulis flavicarpa
    P. foetida hirsuitissiama
    P.foetida hirsuta
    P.foetida hibiscifolia
    P.gilberti
    P.gracilis
    P.maliformis
    P.morifolia
    P.rasticulata
    P.rubra
    P.St Rule
    P.suberosa
    P.subpeltata

How much difference could there be in these from the incarnata? I mean for the herbal benefits. Anyone know?

2. Dahc

Done.

I am kind of interested to see if it could slow my brain down enough to allow me to sleep without meds. They are present here according to all the info, I've just never seen any. I wouldn't mind having a whole fence full of them.

3. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

Lord they grow wild all over georgia! :) I have them all over the back here.

4. Dahc

I'll be happy to take some off of your hands too. Seriously.

5. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

I'll have to wait til they start emerging around here. well its like this, i cut them down with the mower already :D.

Uhmm when they pop up again, ill dig up a few.

6. Wildcrofthollow

Wildcrofthollow Well-Known Member

Wow, lots been going on here in plant and tree id land since I've been gone.

I don't know whether or not the other species of Passiflora would have the same active alkaloids as incarnata, tho I suspect not. Most of the reason that we don't know much about whether other species can be substituted or not has to do with the rift between the clinical side of herbalism and the growers or wildcrafters who service that market.
    Trying not to make a blanket statement here but... It seems to me that most folks who are really good clinical herbalists have great abilities with people, what plants they might benefit from etc. They are the ones that want specific plants that they are familiar with the uses of. Most of them don't seem to harvest the plants for their pharmacopia, they buy them. P. incarnata is the plant that they have been using for generations and is the native which is common here.
    The wildcrafters and growers who provide the plants for the clinical herbalists are plant folks, some of whom concern themselves with the clinical side of things but I think that most don't. They seem to have more of a connection with plants than people. They know that P. incarnata is easy to grow and easy to find in the wild and have no problem providing it for the herbalists who want it.
    Passionflower is a beautiful plant and the flowers are truly pretty. They have been picked up by the landscaping market and imported and hybridized and all kinds of things in order to make new, improved, exotic, (insert other ad campaign slogan here). Most clinical herbalists tend to stick with what they know works well and so there isn't much in the way of experimentation going on.

regards,

7. sunshine estate

sunshine estate Well-Known Member

I'm down in Florida...I've wanted some passion flowers for a long time, and found some about 1/10 mile away from our new "farmette"...I was walking the dog, so I got a bucket and a shovel and dug some up (ditch-side, no one lives there)...and three vines are still growing where I planted them...growing slow because of the drought, but still hanging in there...not sure of variety...

When I've seen them in the past, they were close to the ocean...growing in sand, basically...

8. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

They grow wild here too.

9. Dahc

I still need some.

10. peekin

peekin Well-Known Member

I have them everywhere here. If you can find some growing wild in your area, the best thing for you would be to gather some of the pods after they've flowers and pop them or let them rot on your land.

If there are none growing around you, PM me your address. I'll be happy to send you some pods, although it will be several months before they're ready.

I've tried to collect the seeds and plant them as flowers. It doesn't work very well, although the seeds I put in the ground last year have come up. But the plants from those seeds aren't as vigorous as the plants which grow wild from the seeds of pods which have rotted on the ground. Some people pop the pods and have success. I've popped them but I usually just let them rot on the ground.

11. Dahc

Peekin, that's very generous of you. Someone contacted me and offered to help but thank you for the offer.

I just read that the positive effects of passionflower concerning insomnia and nervous disorders and even spasms were verified in 1920 and that prior to 1980, there were over 40 medicines in europe used to treat insomnia in which passion flower extract was the main ingredient. [EDIT]: In germany.

We have done a bad thing by letting this plant become known as a field weed (not you peekin). It sounds like a very valuable thing.

12. Cyngbaeld

Chad, where did you read that? I'm really interested!

13. Dahc

In "Identifying and harvesting edible and medicinal plants in wild (and not so wild) places" by: "Wildman" Steve Brill.... on page 106.

Over the next day or two I'll be reading more stuff that's online. If I find some confirmation on the internet, I'll post links.

I had to edit that post. It was supposed to say "In germany".

14. Cyngbaeld

15. Dahc

Could some of you fine folks who have passion flowers see if this looks like one? I have been searching steadily to see if I could find some plants on this property. I found two but the biggest one is only about 8" tall.

Here are the leaves and here is a view of the stem .

16. Wildcrofthollow

Wildcrofthollow Well-Known Member

That sure does look like passion flower to me.

17. Cyngbaeld

Looks like you found some! Watch for the bloom because it is distinctive.

18. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

Congratulations,

That's definitely Passiflora incarnata.

If you want to push it along you can fertilze and water it. It will get up to 3 ft quickly that way. You can trellis it like grapes.

19. Dahc

I need to move it closer to the house. It's in a spot my dad just had cleared for a small house. If I don't move it, it will get driven over or walked on. There's another smaller one. I guess I got two. That's better than what I did have. lol.

Will this live better in better soil or is that too much? It's in white field sand right now.

20. Cyngbaeld

Yes, it should do better with better soil. You can give it a bit of manure too.

I'll still plan to send seeds in case these don't make the move.