Parts Source of Shibaura Rotorvator

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ken Scharabok, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Last weekend I bought a Shibaura tiller/rotorvator for a 3-point hitch and PTO at an auction. Primarily I need an owner's manual and tines. I cannot locate a source in TN and nothing on google seems to fit as far as a parts source. Does anyone have a Shibaura dealer in their area?

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Ken, this site, http://www.used-tractors.ca/ states they have replacement tines for all grey market tillers. I have never done business with them.
    I have done business with this one http://www.corimpco.com/mortrac.asp and they are a Ford dealer and the small Fords are actually Shibaura tractors as I understand it. This company also imports LOTS of these small tractors and may be able to assist.

3. Ken Scharabok

Thanks, someone also gave me the lead of Southern Global Tractor, 866-742-5748. Won't be open until Monday though. My neighbors are already commenting how their gardens need to be turned shortly and might it be available for borrowing. Hey, it racks up good neighbor points.

Have no intent in going in the garden tilling business. I know one guy who tried it in the past. He say folks don't want to pay much as it doesn't take long with a tractor and 5' tiller. However, they don't consider the time and effort to load and unload the tractor, plus wear and tear on equipment, much less something for your time. Heck, let them turn the garden over by hand. It's good exercise.

I have a pasture of about five acres which needs renovating fairly badly. I can't do it all at once as it is the primary grazing I have for my cows between when the large fields are planted and harvested. If this works OK, I can do perhaps one acre a year, starting with the worse areas.

Ken

4. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

I just bought a shibaura tractor with a rototiller from an importer in WA. He imports them because parts through Ford are a fortune. Although you may find parts through a Ford tractor dealer, an importer might provide a less expensive option. I ordered a front end loader and blade to go with my tractor, but the tiller came with the tractor. My property is hilly and rocky with very little tillable space, so I may never have much use for the tiller. I have not picked up the tractor yet. I will ask the seller if he handles parts and pass his email address on to you if he allows.

5. Ken Scharabok

Thanks. I checked out the Canadian distributor above. $10 per tine, plus $40 shipping for a lot. Sent me a page out of a manual, but it doesn't look like my tines. But then the tines on it may not be original. Tiller takes 31 tines and they all really need to be replaced. Two neighbor said they have scrap tillers and will see if the tines are interchangeable.

Another lead I have been given is www.hoyetractor.com.

Ken S. in WC TN

6. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............you should beable to purchase new hardened tips at T.Supply or NHolland dealer . Take your cutting torch and cut off old and weld new in their place.........fordy.... :)

7. Ken Scharabok

Just a follow-up here. I was able to find replacement tines through a source in California. However, as we were finalizing the deal the clerk said they were actually Kobota tines, but were interchangeable. Duhhhh. There is a Kobato dealer in Dickson about 25 miles from here.

In hindsight I should have recognized there was probably some interchangeability between brands with different manufacturers buying tines from one manufacturer. Instead of asking for Shibarau tines, I should have sent them the specifications via e-mail or FAX and let them eliminate they by size and style, rather than brand. I got so locked into brand I may have overlooked a local source.

Two neighbors also offered to give me the tines off of their old walk-behind junkers. They would have probably been made to work. They were wider and not as thick at the base, but perhaps doable. (The tiller takes 32 tines - 16 left and 16 right.) However, otherwise than the tines, the rototiller/rotovator is in such good working condition I felt it was worth spending the extra money to put on new, correct tines. I have already turned down on offer of more than I paid for the tiller and what the tines will run.

Ken S. in WC TN

8. Ken Scharabok

My education continues. Once I found out they are interchangeable with Koboda I did an eBay search. Sure enough. They are offered there. Last sale was for about $80 less than I paid.

Ken S. in WC TN

9. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

Well, $80 is probably a cheap education - provided you learn not to need it too often. I've done similar, and been through the "DOH" moment.