Parts for antique tractors?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by POULTRYWAGON, Apr 5, 2005.

1. POULTRYWAGON

POULTRYWAGON Active Member

My hubby got a 1949 Case VAC tractor a few months ago.....it came without an oil filter on it, and he'd like to put one on. It has this external oil filter mount, which we're finding impossible to locate.
    Anyone have any idea where to find parts for a tractor like this?
    We asked down at the Case/IH parts place, and they said they're not able to get one. We were able to order the brakes there, though; so that worked out o.k.....

He's having loads of fun with it, and it runs really well.... amazing something that old can even start up. :)

Thanks for any advice you can pass along......

2. gspig

gspig Well-Known Member

Try www.valu-bilt.com . They have parts for a lot of makes of tractors. Is it possible to change the oil filter mount to accept a modern filter?

3. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I would suggest that you make a post over on the "Case" board of Yesterday's Tractors. http://www.ytmag.com/case/wwwboard1.html Reading and posting there will probably give you more enjoyment as well as information.

Like Homesteadingtoday there are many forums under one umbrella. Check them out.

4. POULTRYWAGON

Thanks, y'all. :)
    I'd gone to the Valu-bilt site, but was unable to find a part for the VAC. They had them for other Case tractors, though, so that was a good suggestion. :)

I'll try posting on the Yesterday's Tractors site. Thanks for the tip.... :) Sounds like a neat place...

Yeah, I was wondering about changing the oil filter mount....we needed to get a new radiator when we got the tractor, and didn't want to spend almost $300.00 for a new "Case" replica. So I measured the radiator, and found that the radiator from an older Dodge van was the same size. :) Got one of those for the tractor...and it's working well....so I've really been looking into something like that for the oil filter, too.

Thanks again!

5. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

The parts from A case V or A V A will/should fit and the inturnal filters can be found just take the housing to a parts house they should be able to find one.

6. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

How about a listing of used tractor parts by state (and province)? Try HERE

7. Polly in NNY

Polly in NNY Well-Known Member

This is the era farm tractor that we farm with. Right now we have 2 VAC's in addition to a Case SC, D, 310 and 530. Let me know if you are unable to locate one through the Yesterday's Tractor forum as we may have one around here or hubby has a pretty wide network of Case buddies that he could put you in contact with.

8. POULTRYWAGON

Ross, thanks very much for that link....looks like some good sources in North Carolina. We'll call them, and see what we can come up with.... I appreciate your taking the time to reply... :)

Thank you, Polly, for the kind offer to put us in touch with some Case people. This is pretty new for us, and it's great to know there are folks around who are ready to share their knowledge & experience.... if we don't come up with anything around here, I'll get back with you, if I may. :)

Thank you again!

9. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I farm with about as many tractors older than 1960 as newer.... I am not familiar with Case, have other colors, but you should not have any difficulty finding that filter from a _knowledgeable_ Case ag dealer. You would be amazed at the difference of a good dealer - pricing & parts availability can be so different on what should be a universal parts source such as that....

A good NAPA type store can ross reference them as well, or a Baldwin, etc filter dealer. Generally every region has at least one of these dealers.

If it is a cartridge filter (you replace the element only) as I think you are describing, it can be difficult to find the original numbers on it, but any infor you can get on it, or let the thing drain off as good as you can & take it along in a plastic bag along with your tractor serial number, and one of these places should be able to find it for you.

--->Paul

10. POULTRYWAGON

Hey, Polly. :)

I PM'd you....

Have a good day! :p