Parsley question........

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mutti, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Have a wonderful patch of Survivor parsley and wondered if it will come back it I cut it down to dehydrate??? Never had luck with any other parsleys before so don't wanna kill it! DEE

2. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

As long as you don't hurt the growing tip in the center of the plant, you should be able to cut almost everything off your plants to dehydrate. If you're not sure what's what, just take all the outer leaves/stems and leave the tender center alone.

3. teacherlisa

teacherlisa Active Member

I can't answer your question, but a related( sort of) question is this:

If a parsley farmer falls behind on his payments, do they garnish his wages?

4. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Moot point as have three monarch butterfly caterpillars on it now so will let them do their thing and start a new patch of parsley....DEE

5. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd leave a little go to seed in case you are on the second year of the biennial. That way you would have something for next year.

6. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Rule of thumb is to harvest only one-third of total growth at any one time. The plant will grow more, and you can repeat the process many times. Try to select the oldest leaves first. They'll be the ones nearest the bottom of the plant. In its second year, parsley (being a biennial) will throw up flower/seed stalks. When this happens, the flavour of the leaves becomes coarser, so just let it happen, and you'll end up with parsley plants all over the place. If your climate is amenable, you could end up with no need to dehydrate your parsley at all!