parott mouth

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Paso, May 5, 2005.

1. Paso

Paso Well-Known Member

I have never seen parott mouth and today a buck was born very strong and large but his tounge is to one side a little and is having a hard time eating. I bottle fed him some milk and he seems happy but is this something to put him down for? I don't know anything about it. What a shame he is so beautiful. Can you please help me befor I get too atached. Thank you all again for the help you give.

2. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

If your buckling truly has a parrot mouth, this is a genetic problem and using him for breeding would result in more of these deformed kids being born. That said, in my very humble opinion, I'd wait and see how he does as he grows. Having once owned a goat with a parrot mouth (before I knew better), I purposely look for the problem. One of my young registered bucks with a dark face appeared to have a parrot mouth but really didn't because white hair on the lower jaw made it appear to be shorter. Sometimes you just need to be patient. Your little guy may just be having a difficult time learning to take the bottle. Could you have someone who may have more experience in goats look at this guy before you decide to put him down?

Nappy

3. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

I my self own a parret mouthed wether..he was fine and now is 1 year old. He will be used for packing and what not. As far as the tounge thing your guy is just learning how to use the bottle. My kids when they first are born have their tounges hang out when they first start drinking also..they have to learn where to put their tounge.

MotherClucker

4. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree let someone more exper who has seen this look before
    deciding. There is a breeder near me whose doe had triplets and
    all three are parrot mouth and she is culling them.
    And it is genetic.
    However if you've never seen this before, best to know 100% if
    it is parrot mouth or a different deformity.

5. Farmgirl2005

Farmgirl2005 Well-Known Member

If you can post a picture and people here, if they dont mind can give some thoughts based on the picture. I am NOT saying to go with them, but it will give you a better idea also.
    Lyn

6. Paso

Paso Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the help. He is doing better on the bottle he cant grip on to her to drink maybe he will when he gets stronger but for now we are milking her and feeding him. His toung isnt bright red like it was and he looks a little better still not great. But from listening to you all here I had better not use him for breeding. Thanks for the help.

7. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

I've not seen it myself before, can someone here who has describe it?
    Couldn't a swollen tonge be from birth trama? It sounds weird he can't nurse.
    Or is that part of parrot mouth?

8. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

I also have a wether that has a parrot mouth. We were saving him as a pet for a little boy but they had a coyote problem and didn't want to lose him as they lost a pygmy. But, they do make very good wethers and all though they seem to have a problem eatting, mine did just fine once he got the hang of it. He was the only one mom would take care of ( triplets)we fed the ther two. Now at 2 he don't seem to miss any meals as by his growth! He also is probably the most gentle wether we have!! Find someone that wants just a pet and give him away once he is bigger and doing ok.

jr05