Parmak Solar fence charger

Discussion in 'Goats' started by burfer, Mar 4, 2005.

1. burfer

burfer Well-Known Member

We got our new fence up and we needed a new fence charger. I ordered a solar Parmak fence charger and we were ready to go. We tested the fence with a fence tester and it showed that the fence was charging. Well, one of our goats leaned against one of the wires while we were watching them. Nothing happened! :waa: Well, least to say I got a little ticked I payed good money for this NEW charger and it was not working, not to mention all the time we put into putting up the fence. I got my *stupid* nerve up and touched the fence! Pulling off a Band-Aid hurts more! We took it back to the house and tested it, everything should have been working fine. My husband tapped on it with a screw driver and the thing seems to be working now! Anyone else had this problem? Anyone own one that have not had any problems, just need to be reassured. I called the company I got it from and they said NO MANAGERS WERE GOING TO BE THERE UNTIL MONDAY! That is another story for another time, not impressed with them, will not recommend, nor EVER do business with them again! :mad:

2. JoyKelley

JoyKelley Well-Known Member

I need to go check if that is the brand name of the one that worked for 2 months and is in the shed now or the other one that I just replaced today with plug in box for half the price . ( I am not impressed with any of the solar ones so far )

3. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

Do you have at least 3 ground stakes in the ground driven 10 feet apart?

What kind of wire are you charging? barbed or regular, thin, electric wire? How many miles is your charger rated for and how many miles are you trying to charge? We use a 15 mile charger for a perimeter on 20 acres. If it is cloudy more than a week the charge drops

We have a solar charger. It is a pain in the rear. We finally had to take half the fence off the charger to get the desired charge on half the fence. When the sun is shining, lookout. I touched it accidentally and I told DH that the thing seems strong enough to stop your heart. If grass or weeds touch the fence it can ground out or sap the fence. We have walked the fenceline many, many times, looking for the "snap" where the ground was.

Good luck. It's a pain, but when it works, the goats will respect it. If it's not strong enough, they don't even know it's there.

Been there, done that, :waa:

4. shorty'smom

I forgot to say that we were trying to charge high tensile, lightweight barbed wire at first, and it was too much resistance for the charger. We had to take all of that down and get regular electric fence wire. Then we had to get a battery operated weed eater, with charger, to cut down the grass under our fenceline. (The native "short" grass here grows 3 feet tall, if you didn't realize.) The tall grass grows so tall it hides goats. You could loose a kid (child) in it. A herd of 500 pound calves snuck up on me when I was fishing at the pond one day. Scared me, until I saw that they were going to run away from me instead of over me. :)

5. burfer

burfer Well-Known Member

This is what makes me so mad. We have the grounds, aluminum electric fence wire, NO grass/weeds are touching the wire. I walked the line many times to make sure of that. Also, it is rated for 25 miles of fence, we have about a mile, maybe less! I guess we will be buying a plug in today!
    wendy(burfer)

6. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

We use a solar charger for our goats and sheep...we also only use polywire. It seems to work quite well for us...everyone save one little ewe respect it's boundries. We did have problems once with it having a splice near a metal post and it was grounding itself out arcing to it. But after a quick walk to find the trouble spot everything else was good.

7. shorty'smom

Probably a good plan. I double checked. Ours is a 25 mile one too. When it's been cloudy for a long time you can touch the thing and it feels like the electrical muscle stimulations thing they hook up to me at the physical therapist. Just a tingle. At it's strongest it is 14,000 volts. WOW! don't touch that! We got a fence tester. It's a good thing. Doesn't anybody use a battery operated charger? They are all over the place out here. We've got one to keep cattle out of MIL's yard. (she wants a bigger yard than her yard fence allows her...plenty of room for grandkids to run and play) It's just hooked up to a car battery and the battery gets hooked up to a charger once a year. It works nicely. I don't want a fence plugged into my house or barn. Fences get hit by lightning often. Herds of cattle standing by fences can sometimes get hit. Nope, I'll make mine solar or DC. No line from a fence into my house.

8. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

We use a plug in Zebara rated for 50 miles charging 5 strands in some spots and 2 strands in others, around 15 acres. The charger is rated @ 2.5 joules and at the farthest spot from the charger the fence tester shows 11,500 volts (max for the tester). I rec everyone get a fence tester because it makes locating breaks that much easier and you know the "real" power of your fence.

9. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Joules is really the key number to look for when getting a charger. ANY fence is only as good as its ability to curb the motivation of the animal you are trying to fence in or out. An electric fence powered by a 1 joule charger may keep rabbits out of your garden, but is not going to contain a bull with a cow in season on the other side of the fence.

This is a link to a commercial website that has a lot of relevant information about electric fencing and chargers. I don't know anything about the quality of their products, but they offer understandable explanations of the different options available.

http://www.taspac-commercial.com/Energizers.htm