Parks Bio Dome

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by gothhick, Sep 23, 2005.

1. gothhick

gothhick one big gray area

anyone else have this product? i got one of Parks double Bio Domes with the jumbo cells (the cells aren't THAT big, but i guess they're bigger than the original...) and a desktop lighting system. total cost, about 150. ordered some seeds. when the seeds came in, i planted them according to the layout i decided on, put water down in the bottom of the thing, put the lid on. not 48 hours after, i already had plants sprouting! decided to turn on the lights for them for several hours. turned em off for bed. this morning turned the lights on again, even MORE plants sprouting already! 72 hours and already got plants coming up!

i'm happy :)

2. momofmany

momofmany Dayenu farms

colo-Dado! As my enthusiatic 4 yo calls it.
    OK GH gotta ask :)
    These weren't the type of seedlings one cannot put outside in the open for fear of the DEA ending up on their door are they? LOL

3. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

What cha doin' in muh head! I was thinking the exact same thing!!!!

4. gothhick

nope, lol. none of THAT kind, lol.

well, there are a couple of poppies, but those are because Grandma had been wanting them, lol.

btw, 5 days in and 36 out of 80 plants have sprouted ALREADY! they are growing strong! i'm very happy. :)

5. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

Thanks for keeping us posted. Those things look so neat, but it takes some money. I just use 4 shop-light fixtures for my gro-lights.

6. gothhick

hmmm, i need to get something setup for when it's time to put them in bigger pots...

7. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

Yes, just hang them from hooks with inexpensive thinner chain from the hardware store, then you can adjust them up or down.

8. gothhick

what kind of lights do you use?

9. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

I'm glad you asked, Gothhick..Very inexpensive, but I will be waiting for the scientists amongst us to lecture about cool vs warm bulbs, and the spectrum of light thing...yes, I have read all about that, but it works and I have used it for yrs. and yrs. Technically, a person should buy the more expensive actual gro-light bulbs, but I have always just used basic shop light fixtures, the long ones with 2 bulbs in each, 4 of them total, with plain flourescent light bulbs, regular shop-light bulbs. Inexpensive, especially if you watch for them on-sale or with a rebate. They only provide the cool whatever-spectrum of light. The important thing is, they do loose intensity with time, so it's essential to change to new bulbs every season. The bulbs themselves will last a long time yet, so I just save them to use elsewhere, say in my garage, or give them to someone I know for their outbuildings.

16 to 18 hrs. minimum. I have never used timer under the lights just because I like to monitor it myself. Just however long I am up during the day. A few yrs., I got myself into a bind when I was not just growing my own stuff for market garden purposes, but special order plants for other people, and went to what I called a day/night shift. You can cheat with 12 hours of light, but the plants don't do near as well. Then, use your inexpensive, adjustable link chain, like I said earlier, to raise the lights as the plants grow. 1 to 2 inches above the plants. But then, as I know you are aware, the trick is in the hardening off in real sunlight & wind. It's that simple, but I'm still jealous of your Biodome. Just me know when you are ready to trade...Just teasing.

10. gothhick

thanks for the info! the light thing i got from them has two flourescent bulbs, says they are wide spectrum, not full spectrum, just wide spectrum. the plants seem to like it so far! :D

i may splurge for gro lights, or not. i'll debate it.

get ya a bio dome...you know you want it! only about 50 bucks for one! :D

11. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I would like to hear the whole story as it progresses,OK?

BooBoo

12. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

I Love the Park's Bio Domes! They are a little spendy, but worth the investment. They usually have an end of season sale caming up in the next couple of weeks, and then they are usually discounted 10-15%.

Nikki

13. gothhick

man if i had known that...

after exactly one week i have 50% of the plants already sprouted and growing! one of the Borage plants is already up about 3 or 4 inches!!!

14. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

Keep up the good work.

15. gothhick

scratch that, 55%! woot! go me!

16. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

I was out mowing...suddenly thought...long time no progress report on the Bio Dome. That other 45% should have been up by now. Inquiring minds want to know.

Do you suppose if you send the company a complimentary letter with your germination progress report they would not only give you a discount, better yet, a free 2nd unit, AND put your mug shot and endorsement in next year's catalog. Hey, if it works, you have have to share with me.

17. gothhick

a bit more came up. some haven't at all yet. some i'm not sure will, but it was worth a try, lol.

i've already transplanted the borage, flax and dill. a few i'm going to transplant tuesday on my day off. :) got a bunch ready to move over.

i'm not sure really if the bio-dome itself is responsible for it doing so well or not. a normal seed planting tray with a bottom on it for watering from below and a top on it for humidity may suffice. gonna try one of those next just to see.

some of the sprouts are not standing up real strong though. they're nice and healthy green, but kinda falling over. a bit limp. i lowered the lights and it seemed to help a bit, but i couldn't lower them much more. a couple are starting to perk up better though. keeping an eye on them.

i'm still kinda new to starting stuff from seed so this is all a learning experience for me.

18. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

Thank you, I was just curious. Deb

19. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

I am not sure if this is possible using the dome on there....but if you want to make your plants sturdier....you can put a fan on low and aim it at your seedlings....it dries them out a bit faster...but the air movement helps to make the stems stronger. Least it does for mater and pepper plants. When I didn't have electric for the fan out in the side porch...I used an index card and gently brushed over the seedlings when they got big enough to handle it. It makes them tougher. Not sure about your herbs though.....BTW...the lavender that was coming up.....out of the seedlings...only one made it??????? Don't have a clue why the others died! That lavender is sure a tricky thing!!!!!!!

20. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

I gave these as Christmas presents one year to family members who like to garden, and heard reports about how well they worked.