Homesteading Forum banner

Parents need to raise their children, kids need to play outside

1K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  copperkid3 
#1 ·
#2 ·
OMG!!!!!
Just when you think people in general can't get any dinner.....

Hope noone calls the cops on me, but my son climbed a tree, he even had a pocket knife and carved his initials in the tree.
Same time frame my daughter was outside riding a bicycle

Oh, the humanity, how could I have ever let them partake in such activities??

#6 ·
Could be I am simply paranoid because when my son was 7 we had a man in a van trying to get kids to take a ride with him right in our area.

But I am truly shocked that the CPS case worker told her to not let her children play outside.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/daily-p...-whose-kids-were-playing-outside-unsupervised

When we lived in a housing development in Troy there was a "park" with a playground and a pond and kids used to play there all the time, no parents around. Dead end streets, quiet neighborhood. In a case like that I wouldn't see a problem. But in the article posted it doesn't give enough detail about the neighborhood. Some neighborhoods just aren't safe.

#7 ·
We have run into similar comments from well meaning people (although no police visits) because our 2 year old is growing up in our machine shop/store front. I get a lot of, "wouldn't he be safer in daycare?"

I don't get why strangers want to rid me of the blessing of getting to bring my boy to work with me. At 2.5 he is a great helper, faces product, greets people when they come in and tells them to have a nice day when they leave. He is getting a work ethic ingrained into him that a normal kid doesn't get these days.

Ugh! /end rant.

Eta: We are smart enough to not let him run the machinery. Maybe when he's 4.

#9 ·
That article took me back to when I was 6, a first grader.
I used to walk to school, not exactly by myself, there were other kids in the neighborhood, the older ones of course didn't go to the elementary school about a mile away.....

By the time I was 6 I already knew how to ride a bike, cross a busy street safely, knew my home phone and address, etc.

#10 ·
How many missed this sentence:
"spotted her 6-year-old son playing in a field across the street from their house."
It's not like he was playing in his own yard. They don't say who owns the field or how busy the street is either.
mentioned those EXACT SAME THINGS.....along with,
"You don't even know what kind of neighborhood they live in . . ."

Amazing how 'tolerant' and 'open-minded' she is about
a perfect stranger deciding what is best for her child.....

Or that the police decided to also contact CPS on the complaint as well.:grit:

She really didn't see the problem of 'gooberment' interference in the raising of the child.

#13 ·
And Washington schools are banning swings.

Let's just wrap our kids in batting, & put them on a shelf until they're 21.

#14 ·
I've lived in several different places. In some places it was safe for kids to play 150 yards away from the front door. In other places it wasn't. In a couple of those places I would have called the cops upon seeing an unattended 6 yo outside. It's got nothing to do with being "progressive". It has everything to do with the kind of neighborhood where this occurred. After all, you wouldn't let a 6 yo play across a 5 lane road from your house would you? And I've been the recipient of unattended children playing on my property.

#15 ·
Society has reached a stage where isolation and continuous media jack in now is the norm to the majority.

A major bastion of cultural development died recently on October 4th.

Broadcasters totally abandoned traditional or close to traditional early Saturday morning cartoon programming after decades of legislation and action by protest groups to restrict programming targeted towards children.

Now instead of kids waking early on a Saturday to watch cartoons and then go out to play, more kids are sleeping in until noon along with their parents and then logging onto their net connected devices and powering up their video games or watching non regulated pay cartoon channels available 24/7.

In place of the traditional four hours of Saturday cartoon content, stations now air whatever "I/E" children's programming they can get at the lowest cost to satisfy the FCC mandated I/E quotas even though few children actual view the programming.

#16 ·
It depends on where in Austin this happened. Some areas are not safe .
Who sets that criteria?

Who gave that nosy neighbor the right to place hands on someone
else's child, haul her home, chew out momma and then sic the gestapo
and their henchmen on her family? You do realize that there will be a file
on that family until the last child turns 18? And it may endure even longer ....

#17 ·
We all know the drill.

If the child had been abducted, the cry would be how could a parent let a six year old out on a a field unsupervised. :rolleyes:

It's a different world now, not Mayberry, 1960.

Sometime when I see young kids walking or riding bike on our county road in the day time, I wonder if they will stay safe, even this is a very low crime area.

We we were kids walking the county roads at night was great fun. No way do parents let kids do that around here.

The parents who called the cops probably just felt concern for the child, not pushing some Liberal agenda. maybe they were overreacting, maybe not.

As usual we we not there.

#18 ·
Who sets that criteria?

Who gave that nosy neighbor the right to place hands on someone
else's child, haul her home, chew out momma and then sic the gestapo
and their henchmen on her family? You do realize that there will be a file
on that family until the last child turns 18? And it may endure even longer ....
Someone needs to visit the wood shed and get a spanking out of the sight of everybody else.

#19 ·
Someone needs to visit the wood shed and get a spanking out of the sight of everybody else.
would just report you to the police again and want to press charges for assault.
Got to make them 'disappear' to avoid that possibility.:umno:

#21 ·
Wow......oh well I had a childhood that expose me to independence, yea I got bruised and cuts but I learned first aid, carried the emergency dime to call home should I feel the need. I was walking 2 miles along route 62 to attend morning church on Saturday all by myself at 7 if I found enough bottles I went further to get a soda or ice cream.

Home at dark was the mantra ok, grab a dime just in case. But much of my fun and adventures ended when kindergarten started. No more head out doors after making the bed and shaking the table cloth in search of Johnny or Mary to catch salamanders, make a kite, or swing from grape vines when we tried of cowboys and Indians.

Remember those red ribbon the with with those pop guns. They went into the gun ant it would make app and spark The fun one could have with a rock or magnify glass and one of those ribbon.

G
#22 ·
I watched a 2-year old lay down the middle of the street today, attended only by his 4-year old brother... The Mom was nowhere in sight. Although a VW New Bug came around the corner to see them -- I stopped them from running the toddlers over.
Three of us, standing in our driveway witnessed this... These kids are always unattended and running loose. The 2 a.m. jaunt in their diaper, in front of the police officer that was visiting his parents, earned the parents a CPS visit. Their second, according to the officer. He held the kid for 30 minutes before finally locating the parents...

#23 ·
That's a bit different.

Several years ago, there was a little girl that was up and down the street at all hours of the day. She even came and knocked on our door at a time when she should have been in bed wanting to play w/our son. On Halloween, her father couldn't figure out if he should stay home and give out candy and let her go trick or treating by herself, or go out w/her. Needless to say, I took her out w/my son. No one called the cops on them, nor CPS. But I took that little girl w/me whenever I could-w/the parents permission-including camping. It worked for all of us since she was a little older than my kids, loved us, and was very responsible, at least when around us.

#24 ·
I can understand the neighbour's concern, BUT she should have stopped by the child's house, not taken him/her to her own house. That is kidnapping. And calling the police was completely out of line. Especially since the older sister and dog was with the child except for the last 15 or so minutes. There needs to be a balance these days in raising children to be safe, but not bring them up in such a way as to be constantly afraid.

I live in town at the base of a mountain. The road going past my place is one of the egresses to the mountain, so kids come by here all the time to explore the mountain. I just warn them to watch for rattlesnakes, especially this time of year when they are on the move. One time a kid fell and banged himself up, and since I'm the first house, he and his friends came here. I bandaged the cut, and let the kid call home for his mother to come get him. He was probably around 8. I didn't know I was "supposed" to call the police and CPS on the family. Sheesh!

#26 ·
What does an unsafe area include? And why do they exist?
There are gangs and everything that goes with them, very high traffic areas, lots of swimming pools, lakes, creeks. The woman took the child home, talked to the mom,then called police. I would guess the police notified CPS, and I bet these kids wandered the neighborhood alone a lot, unsupervised .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.