Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ever been to Quebec?

I have, Montreal, Quebec (Keebec, not Queebec) City, St. Prime, Trois-Rivieres, Riviere-du-Loup, Val-d'Or. I've driven from Toronto, up through Quebec, up and over the Northern tip of Maine, down through New Brunswick and into Nova Scotia. Did you know that New Brunswick and Nova Scotia are on Atlantic time? One hour ahead of Eastern Standard.

Canada is a bilingual country with two national languages, English and French. The battle between English and French goes back a ways, with Quebec wanting to secede and form it's own country, So one hears a lot about how the French don't like the English speakers and vise versa. Don't really know how true that is.

All across Canada the highway signage is in both English and French. Not so in Quebec. The signage is only in French. Not as scary as it sounds. East is Est, West is Ouest, South is Sud and North is Nord. Other than that the streets are just a matter of matching the name on the map to the name on the signpost. Easy peasy japanesey.

I never had a problem with the French as I learned to articulate the title of the OP to them. It worked and I never had any trouble or friction.

I took a load of trucks out of Portland that finaled in Val d'Or, 325 miles Northwest of Montreal. When I got to Val d'Or I started looking for the dealership which was usually pretty easy, just look for a place with new trucks parked around it. Not so this time. I cruised around and the only place was what looked like a repair shop. I stopped and got out and a man came out and climbed into the truck and started looking around. I thought he was the delivery inspector so I tried to hand him the paperwork on the truck. He waved me away and pointed inside the building. I went in and learned that this was a new Western Star dealership and mine was the first truck delivered and the guy in the truck was the new owner who just happened to be there that day.

I thought that was pretty cool and we took a few pictures which have been misplaced over time.

Reactions: Gayle in KY

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
What do you call some one who speaks three languages?--Trilingual...Two languages?--bilingual...One language?--American.

I once flew into Luxembourg and took a train to Italy, a four hour trip. I shared a compartment with a French lady. She spoke no English, but could speak German and understood some Italian. I spoke Italian and could understand German..so we had a 4 hr conversation in Italian and German, neither using our native tongues. Made the trip pass quickly.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about the other 104 languages in Canada? Don't they get street signs too?
That would be a question for Justin Trudeau.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts