Parasitic Wasps for Fly Control

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by rzrubek, Dec 20, 2004.

1. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

Hi, does anyone have any experience or know about using parasitic wasps for fly control with rabbits? Here in the desert of AZ we don't have a true winter so we have a fly problem year round. I have also thought about using a "bug zapper" as the flys seem to really be attracted to the flourescent lights. Any thoughts? Thanks, Randy

2. Rancher

Rancher Well-Known Member

Here in Louisiana we also have a fly problem. We use fly strips and a bug light. Seems to work ok for now.
    Rancher

3. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

Thanks for the reply Rancher, I think i'll get a bug light and put it on a timer so its on when my main lights are off. I did some research on the Parasitic wasps and it seems you have to maintain a population of fly larvae to keep the wasps going wich is not what we want to do. Randy

4. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

I've used the parasitic wasp in the manure pile when I had horses. They work well but you do need to re-populate with a fresh batch every so often. I also put up the big fly strips over the stalls. In New York, the flies are only a problem from late spring to early fall so new wasp were added in May and July. Suppose the warmer areas would need to obtain the wasp more frequently.