Parasitic Wasps for fly control in the barn??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Leah IL, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Leah IL

Leah IL momto6

Has anyone tried this biological method? I have been reading a bit about it, but I don't know anyone who has experience.

Thanks guys :)

2. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

This method works pretty well. We've tried it and were happy with the results. It doesn't take care of every single fly, but sure does put a dent in them. The wasps don't bother the horses, and people don't even know they are there usually. What these things do, or so it was explained to me..is they lay their eggs on a fly or maggot. When the eggs hatch, the larvae actually eats the fly/maggot. As you can guess, the results aren't emediate, but when you do get results they are pretty good. You do have to refrain from using insecticides and traps of course.
    Remember however, that every case is different, you may not be as happy as we were with the results. Also, as with any insect, the weather may play a hand in the results you get as well. If you want some fly control without using the sprays, or smelly traps I would suggest trying it at least once. Of course spiders help with fly control too (but I am a serious arachnaphobe and just can't stand even seeing them around)

3. Marilyn in CO

Marilyn in CO Well-Known Member

Yes, yes a thousand times yes. :D We have used them for about 4 years now in our cattle corrals and they work. There are still some flies but the cattle rarely flick their tails and I have no fly problem around my house and one of our corrals is only 50ft. from my back door. We put them out once a week.

4. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

Where do you get these?

5. Marilyn in CO

Marilyn in CO Well-Known Member

You tell them how big an area or how many animals you want to cover and they will send what you need. Ours come UPS in a plastic bag about 12"x12" and that covers a lot of area. The bag has something like shredded straw with the black little parasites. We sprinkle the contents of the bag on the wet manure piles. I can't remember the price exactly but I think I spend less than $100 a month but that covers 600 hd. of cattle.

6. MikeD

MikeD Well-Known Member

BicoNet

I've used beneficial mites from these guys in the past to control reptile mites indoors. There might be a solution or two hiding there for you.