Parasites on Goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Shannonmcmom, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Shannonmcmom

Shannonmcmom Well-Known Member

Question about little critters on goats. Can goats get fleas? Because I am pretty sure they are fleas I am seeing on our goats. They are reddish in color and are deep in their coat. Also our cats come back with the odd flea but we have given them flea medication. I always feel like critters are on me whenever I come in from doing my chores.

I looked up previous posts and found out that it could be lice? I have the Ivomec injectible. My sheep don't seem to have the critters but I am kind of scared to get too close as the itching drives me batty sometimes and I don't willingly want to get whatever it is. I did find a flea on my 12 month old son whom I was nursing, after giving the goats some oats. But again it could be my cats bringing them in the house.... Whatever is biting us it is driving me crazy. The bites itch forever, and my kids all seem to have various bites...

Should I get some tape out there to trap the little buggers and look under the microscope. Than I could get an pretty accurate description of the creatures.

Please any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Shannon

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Those are lice. they dont like people, but they may experiment bite. same with cats and dogs. i dont know if sheep get goat lice. go to your local farm store and ask for lice dust. you will probably be able to find it on your own, however, near the fly spray. put it on your goats and in thier home. dont put it on goats under 3 monthes, however, and dust the animals far away from where thier food and water is, and where they dont graze, if possible. the dust usually works even for a heavy infestation. make sure the dust is down to the skin. they dont need alot of dust, however.
    Good luck!!
    ~ Dona

3. Shannonmcmom

Shannonmcmom Well-Known Member

We got a few samples and looked at them under the microscope. They are biting lice. We found a website that had pictures of biting lice and sucking lice. My husband had just drawn a picture and it looked exactly like the biting lice. I will phone our farm supply store tomorrow and see what there is for them.

Thank you for your reply.

Shannon

4. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I'm so sorry that your goats have lice, ours had it a while ago, all except one doe who was seperated due to the fact that she was due o give birth anyday. It took us forever to get rid of it, we could not find the right stuff, although we finally did,thank God. Hope yours get over it soon. Bye, and good luck.

P.S Iwill get the name of the stuff we use as soon as I get home, I'm at school right now.

5. Loisp

Loisp Active Member

7 dust works good for goat lice. Just sprinkle it on them. When my goats had lice I also gave them a shot of Dectomax. That handles lice and worms.