paralyzed doe

Discussion in 'Goats' started by billygoatridge, Feb 11, 2005.

1. billygoatridge

billygoatridge Well-Known Member

I came home from work wednesday and had a doe that had delivered two kids. One dead and one alive. She was swollen much more than normal, had a partial vaginal prolapse, and was paralyzed in her back end. She can somewhat controll her back legs now but they are so week she can't stand all the way up or stay standing at all for very long. In 20+ years of having goats I've never had one get paralyzed from kidding. Has anyone else had this experience? Did the goat recover? Is there anything I can do for her or should she be put down?

2. greenacres

greenacres Well-Known Member

I would suggest an antibiotic because of the prolapse and the risk of infection from that. If she had a really hard labor, I would give her a little more time. I would go out every few hours and try to get her to stand up and do a little therapy with her so she can get her strength back. If you have some nutridrench or something like that it probably wouldn't hurt to give her some of it too as a little boost. Keep us posted.

3. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

could it be ketosis?
    if so she needs glucose or sugar of another sort...

I once went over to visit a friends goats while she wasnt home and one of her does was very stiff legged. I called her at work and she came home and gave a vaginal bolus it was some sort of infection.

4. billygoatridge

I've been giving her penicillin daily to prevent infection from the prolaps and it is looking better, barely prolapsed now just extra puffy. I could be wrong but I don't think it is ketosis because she was acting normally when my husband left for work( about 3 hours before I got home) and she still continues to act perky,drink normally and eat like a pig other wise. I also always give everyone a gallon of warm water with dark karo syrup or honey after birthing. Thanks for the responces and I'll keep you posted.

5. elly_may

elly_may Well-Known Member

Have you given the doe the usual Bo-Se prior to her kidding ? If not I would do that right away.

6. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

It most likely is partial temporary paralysis. If the kid was large and/or was in the birth canal for a long time, with a difficult birth it could cause this. I saw this on a doe that was brought into our vet clinic a couple years ago. We kept her at the clinic for 2 days, she was eating fine, we had her on antibiotic shots and gave her a little extra calcium (injections) but you could use some liquid or gel (CMPK). We sent the doe home and after about a week the owner called to say that the doe was up and doing much better. Hopefully she will get over this. Let us know how she does.

7. Debi

Debi Active Member

I had a doe do this several years ago. Make sure you give her penicillan so she doesn't die from pneumonia. Also, a Vitamin B shot will get her appetite up.

I made a sling out of a towel and suspended the doe from the barn rafter for several hours a day, several times a day. You need to get her up. Vicki had told me to prop her up between hay bales but she kept dragging herself away from them so I suspended her. It also made it easier to milk her out to feed her baby.

This is not unusual and happens with cattle all of the time. Of course, I didn't know this at the time and was freaking out. If the babies were large or she had a long delivery, a nerve could've been pinched and her legs feel asleep. I rubbed my doe's legs and worked them back and forth several times a day.

Make sure you worm her. She's having a lot of stress and those worms will get her if you don't get them first.

It took 4 days before she could support her own weight while suspended. On the 6th day, she was fine.

Good luck.

Debi
    Kaufman TX

8. billygoatridge

Thanks everyone for the replies. It's looking a little more hopefull for my paralyzed goat. She can now get up on her own and stand for a little while. Though her legs give out after she's been up a little while, she's doing much better.

9. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Wonderful. If you can get out there and massage her legs and keep her turned so she doesn't lay in one spot for too long it would help. It is hard to do if you work all day though. Been there. That is very encouraging note though if she is getting up on her own. Did you worm her? Some good grain and hay and she ought to recoup.