Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This female keet has been broody, although there is no male. She's been staying in the feed dish alot. Today, I see a large red ball hanging from her bottom, and she's breathing heavy, but still somewhat active.
Can anyone please advise me, and what could this be? There are no eggs layed. Could this be something like what a chicken gets...prolapse uterus??
Anything I can do? Need help ASAP...Please!!

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
I'm wondering if it's egg bound... Sitting in the feed dish would be a sign of trying to nest and trying to lay...

This site can give you more info about it than I ever could,..

http://www.birds-online.de/gesundheit/gessonstiges/legenot_en.htm

If you want to try and save this bird, you need to find an Avian vet asap... Birds will act as normal as possible up until almost the end.. they hide their problems very well.. Once you see a problem, I hate to say it, but it's usually too late...

Reactions: handymama

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
I'm sorry you had to do that, but I would have probably done the same... It just depends on how attached you are to an animal as your choice, plus finding a good avian vet isn't very easy in a lot of places.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you again for the link. I felt really bad to this, she was only 2 yrs old, and a pretty turquoise color, but I could see she was suffering, and bleeding.
I'm reading alot about dietary deficiencies possibly the cause. I only have 2 left, both females, and I'll make sure they have more variety in their diet. It seems they wont eat fruit, and only like a few greens. But I'll keep trying. Other than that they get bird food for keets, millet spay, a mineral block. It seems females need the calcium more.
I have a large flight cage because I had 4 birds at one time. Now only 2...I hope I don't cave a get another bird...I hate their mess!!

T

·
0 Posts
Many years ago, my little Keet liked spaghetti, sauce AND noodles, chicken, salad, and beer, and all sorts of people foods... Perhaps offer them a smidge of whatever you're having for dinner each night to broaden their diet? Mine was a pet who flew around the house and could help herself to whatever looked good to her - and lived a decade. Perhaps a variety of foods might benefit them?

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Do you have a cuttlebone for them? It's a big boost to their calcium.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
For a couple of my keets, I found they preferred if I grated the fruits and veggies for them so I would. Maybe try that? I'm sorry about your little bird!

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Seeds are like candy so they often refuse other foods because they'd rather eat seed. Offering a variety every day is important, preferably before you refill the seed cup. I liked doing MAINLY a pellet diet (seed as treats) helps keep them from picking through and eating only their favorite seeds and not others, as well. Many pet bird diets are full of dyes and weird stuff, too, so a quality seed should always be used.

A good way to offer daily veggies/fruit foods is to grate up veggies/fruits really small, into an icecube rack. You can also do things like hardboiled or scrambled egg (no seasonings or butter), and add that as well. Add water and freeze. Remove the cubes and put them in baggies to store. For each meal, thaw an icecube. Works great for birds, otherwise fresh goes to waste quickly.

Birds can still prolapse even with good diet, especially if egg bound, I'm sorry you had to put her down. :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts