Paragould, AR questions

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Snowdancer, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

Does anyone live within 50 or so miles of Paragould, AR?
    What is the area like? I'm not wondering about the topograpy-I've seen it and know other than Crowleys' Ridge it's flat as a pancake! :eek: :haha:

Is it a racially diverse area or more closed to diversity in nature? We have friends of all races & cultures; so wonder how having weekend guests come in who are of other races would be viewed/tolerated. I don't want to cause them or me problems so I figured it's best to ask before deciding on a location.

If Paragould is fairly culturally/racially closed is it more tolerant in Jonesboro?

What are the taxes like-income, sales, special assessments?
    Car tags & registration costs?
    Are the utilities reasonably priced in your opinion?
    Is there DSL available to the outlying areas around Paragould?

Does anyone know of any rental houses or small homesteads for rent in the area? In town living is even ok, just a house as opposed to an apartment would be preferred.

Thanks,
    Kathy

2. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

I have stopped at fast food places in Paragould. There were different races working together.

Paragould is growing as for the town.

Jonesboro is way ahead of it though. With the college at Jonesboro you have all different races. I visit Jonesboro more than Paragould. Paragould is just on the way there for me.

Racial differences seems no problem at Jonesboro. The housing is more costly at Jonesboro because of the college. There is a small town between them called Brookland. Not sure about housing there.

3. Snowdancer

Thank you, I'll do more checking into the Jonesboro area for housing.
    I saw the sign for Brookland, I'll have to check that little community out too!

So much to check out when contemplating a new location.
    It's good to hear from others since you can't be sure from a few hours visit.

I'll let you know how it goes,
    Kathy

4. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

Walnut ridge is cool looking, always thought it looke like a nice place driving thru - i hate paragould, way too many stop lights for this trucker so i go around it now! Jonesboro is growing fast, tons of jobs but prices going up. Might want to look on the mo side too -- some nice areas there in the bootheel and only be 15 minutes away from paragould!

5. BeeFree

When I posted earlier, I forgot about Truman, Ar. It is below Jonesboro.

As the other poster said Walnut Ridge is a nice little town. With the 4 lanes built now it isn't too far to Jonesboro.

Were you mainly wanting to live in Paragould? Outside of Paragould, I can't remember the hwy number, but it is the road we travel to MO, there are quite a few houses. Some seem to be rentals and others are new ones going up.

6. Snowdancer

beefree I think that road is 412??

Hubby has been out of work since Aug 04 and he was offered a job in Paragould,AR which he took.
    He's been commuting back to Memphis nightly since 2/14/05 but he'd like to move there within 90 days because the company will pay relocation costs if done within the first 90 days. He doesn't mind living a ways from Paragould, probably up to 45 miles or so would still be better than the 94 he's doing now.

So I'm trying to figure out where would be the best area to look. I've only been there twice for about 4 hrs each time-not nearly long enough to check too many places.
    We both love TN and Memphis in particular; so we're trying to find the best area where could feel at home & our friends could be comfortable visiting.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming! ;)

Kathy

7. cowman

cowman Well-Known Member

I live about 15 miles from Paragould and 12 miles from Jonesboro. My children went to school in both places and I work in Jonesboro. I lived in Jonesboro for several years. If you work in Paragould you would not want to live in Jonesboro. Way to expensive in Jonesboro. Paragould is not as racially tolerant as Jonesboro but don't think you would have problems. Just not many blacks live there. Both cities have cheap utilities but be careful about getting in small towns. Paragould and Jonesboro own there own electric companies but the small towns have to get theirs from other utility companies.

8. BeeFree

Looking at the info that Harleysmom gave, the road we travel to Paragould is probably 135. We go through Corning, Lafe and Oak Grove Heights. My SIL lived in Oak Grove Heights many years ago. She really liked it there.

The way housing is going up, you should be able to find something around there or Jonesboro or between.

Jonesboro is getting a new Mall. In fact since my DD went to ASU the whole place has grown even more. I like going there to shop. It and Cape Girardeau are the closest to me.

Back in the late 80's we used to shop a lot in Paragould. There was a great bridal, prom dress shop there. Don't know if it still is or not.

Hope you find a place agreeable to you.

9. hubcap

hubcap New Member

Jonesboro would be your best bet as it has more class and cultural diversity than the outlying towns. You would enjoy yourself more there. Jonesboro is a college town that has it's own T.V. station too. (KAIT- 8)

10. Snowdancer

We're leaning more towards Jonesboro due to the diversity, shopping options, ability to get back to Memphis easier & it's still within the commute range we wanted to Toms work. It's 19 miles from the northernmost residential areas of Jonesboro to where he works-not a bad commute.

I'm going to AR next week to start checking in earnest for places now that I have a few opinions and a copy of the local papers. The visitor bureau info came in yesterday too from both Paragould and Jonesboro which sure helped.

I love country living since that's what I've done for most of my 52 yrs but yet enjoy the occasional night out. Maybe in Jonesboro I can find both!! :D

The link to the demographics was what really helped make up our minds.

Now the fun of searching for a good spot to live begins! :eek:
    I'll post some pics of places I find.

Thanks to all and if you think of anything else please post it.

Kathy

11. stonefly71

stonefly71 Well-Known Member

What area is that in as I'm looking to move to Mt. Home in the next few years myself. I found the local newpaper online and that is one of the ways I've been looking for land plus I've called and talked with a few realators up in the area.Land seems to be cheap to me as here in Ohio you couldn't touch the amount of land I can buy down there for the same price. As i've meat people off other web sites who live in the area and thats one reason I want to move there. All my family is here in Ohio but I want out and be able to let my land feed me and all that good stuff. Later Matt

12. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

jonesboro paragould are on the eastern edge of Ar close to the Missouri bootheel. I used to own land in mountain home -- great fishing there!