Paradise Lost, seeking comments

Discussion in 'Goats' started by GOATDADDY, Sep 17, 2005.

1. GOATDADDY

GOATDADDY Well-Known Member

Started my goat herd from scratch about March. Obtained a 3 year old, boer billy, calm, laid back disposition. Now I have about 13 females of various ages and an assortment of nubian, spanish, boer cross and mostly crosses of these. A friend gave me a little billy goat, seems like he might be a pigmy, boer cross over a month ago. He could go to auction tomarrow. Anyway, all my original group was a fairly calm bunch, just grazing, drinking loafing in the shade, the kids cavorted and life was good. In the last week or two my boer billy has sort of become agitated, smelling the ladies, making that curled up lip thing, making odd, sort of barking noises and has been much more physically active. I have seen him mounting some of the nannies. OK, OK, here is my question. Has this all happened because the nannies are coming in heat or is this happening because the billy is coming or into rut, or something else. Which comes first? Should I get rid of that young billy cause I don't want him to breed my girls? I think so. I keep my billy with the herd at all times.

2. Caren

Caren Well-Known Member Supporter

If it was me I'd keep the little guy around so he can breed the smaller younger does so they can have an easier time kidding,

But that's me. Remember I'm a newbie....

Caren

3. trnubian

trnubian Twin-Reflection Nubians

Your does are coming in heat and the cooler weather is bringing your buck into rutt. Your buck will only breed does in heat, he might try to breed does who are not in heat, but they will just run away from him. If you see him breed a certain doe, you will be able to calculate her due date. I prefer to know when my does are due to kid, so I keep the does and bucks separated and take the does to the buck when they are in heat.

If you don't care about mixing pygmies into your herd you could keep the little buck. I would sale barn him if I were you because the pygmy will bring your kids size down and they will be much less marketable than a regual boer/Nubian/Spanish goat, which by the way, makes an excellant meat goat.

That is just my opinion and you can do what you think will work best for you. I would just have a problem with the size thing. it would cut down on the rate of the kid's growth and the overall muscling if you bred your does to your little buck.

P.S. Bucks get meaer when they are in rut and become very possesive of their does. Be careful when you get in with the goats. Even the nicest buck can turn nasty during rutt. Don't trust him an inch.

4. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I agree with trnubian. Sounds like you have the start of a nice meat herd with a good Boer buck. That little buck you have will add poor genetics to your herd....get rid of him before he breeds something. Your buck is in rutt and your does are coming into heat. June-December is generally breeding season. Some folks leave the buck with the herd because it is easier...I did that back in the day. However, now i keep tract of when each doe is bred and figure out exact due dates so I have no surprise deliveries and know exactly what's going on. This is particularly useful with first time mommas and during bad weather.....Diane

Here's a good site:

http://www.fiascofarm.com

When you get to this site, go to the top of the page and click on "SITE MAP".
    This is a dairy goat based website, but has excellent info on breeding and general goat care.

5. goatee

goatee Active Member

Male goats are bucks not billys and females are does not nannies.

6. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Actually, the terms tend to be affected by geographical areas. Around here they are mostly referred to as nannies and billies, though we refer to them as does and bucks...Thena gain we are specific when referring to our bovine as well whereas most people call them cows and bulls.
    It has to do with the local culture what terms are the norm.

I would sell the young buck unless you want his genetics. He will breed them if he is not separated. I have a Boer/Saanen/Pygmy buck from this year that I am constantly worrying about. Luckily he is contaiend and I do not see him escaping at all until we sell him. He was supposed to be gone by now but the individual has not come to get him yet.

7. Farmboy

Farmboy Well-Known Member

Definitely get rid of the buckling if you don't want him to breed your does. There's been reports of bucklings breeding entire herds by 3 mo. old. And yes, the does are coming (or are in) heat if the buck is trying to mount them. When they stand still and allow him to finish, they are in standing heat and should become pregnant.

8. GOATDADDY

GOATDADDY Well-Known Member

Well, I just got back from delivering my little Billy ( sorry Goatee, didn't mean to offend your sensibilities ), I mean, little buck, to the sale barn or should I call it the livestock auction, or whatever???
    Thanks for the good advice and comments, especially Goatee!!!!!!!!

9. littlec

littlec New Member

Wow...and I thought this was a place for beginners to come seeking advice...not to be rudely corrected on terminology. I guess I'll have sit down with a goat encyclopedia before posting any questions.

10. goatee

goatee Active Member

I was not trying to be rude.A lot of people have bad ideas about goats and I figured if we are going to change peoples perceptions to a more positive way then we should at least call the goats what they are.Sorry if I seemed mean in any way I was just trying to help the goats image.A lot of people I know think it is kind of derogatory to call them billys and nannies.I will try not to respond negatively ever again on this site,If I don't have something positive to say I'll shut up.SORRY if I offended anybody it won't happen again.

11. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I don't know, if I am really mad at one of our female goats, the older ones anyway, I always call them "a stupid old Nanny",. Most of the time though I do call them Bucks and Does, but that only started after I actually got goats, other than that they were always billies and nannies. I am glad however hat the females are called does, with the babies and young females it would feel akward to call them something that sounds so old.Of course all hat I have just said is in my own opinion, and everyone else has their own I'm sure. Well, Bye everyone.

12. momanto

momanto SW FLORIDA HAPPYLAND

A FRIEND OF MINE MARRIED A GUY WHO WAS CALLED BILLY - SHORT FOR WILLIAM. HIS NICKNAME IN HIGH SCHOOL WAS "GOAT". :sing: