Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the seeds from Martin & overall, this is the best tomato I've ever raised.
Got up to about 6 ft. supported by wire cages made of old concrete reinforcing wire. They were delicious & canned beautifully whole. They are still producing flowers in this high heat & humidity. The also did great in my dehydrator. Thanks Martin! to see my pictures go to:
picasaweb.google.com/sundayhanson

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
When you wrote 6', I had to look to make sure you had the right ones. They are correct but I think that you may have removed some of the early laterals to get the higher growth. Paquebot Roma is determinate so they won't be growing forever. They are just as happy when allowed to grow as a bush in short cages. I planted a row of 9 at 2' spacing and short cages. Right now, they look like a 3' high and wide hedge that needs a little trimming to be perfect.

Martin

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did trim the early laterals. Down here we don't want growth too close to the ground cause it's so humid. The cages are old & are about 5 feet tall, so just used what I had & they grew up & over them. I had 10 plants and wish I had counted or weighed the tomatoes. You'd better get your canning jars ready cause you're gonna have plenty tomatoes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts