paperwhite bulbs

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Christina, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Christina

Christina Well-Known Member

Posted this on the gardening site with no reponses, so I'll try here...
    What do I do with paperwhite bulbs after they've grown and bloomed indoors? Do I cut them down? Store them somewhere? How do I get them to rebloom?

2. Christina

Christina Well-Known Member

Ah, I should've checked the old post before posting here,as there WERE a few responses. Sorry! Well, any more suggestions?

3. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

How cold does it get, where you live? I'm pretty sure paper whites are a narcissis(sp) i.e. small clusters or white star shaped flowers. If it doesn't snow too much or freeze really long and hard, they go right into the ground. Mine grow wild now, I don't do anything to them. Bury them about 3 inches deep and wait till next year...
    lacyj

4. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

Paperwhites will survive in warmer climates. Only problem with bulbs grown indoors without soil is that they're lacking nutrients. Since a bulb is actually stored food, and lack of nutrients can be fatal to the plant. You could try planting them out for next year, though. It wouldn't hurt to give it a shot.

5. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

The foliage must die back to get a new flower next year. If you cut the dying leaves then the buld won't get the nutrition it needs to make next years flower.

One of the things many gardeners do is braid the leaves and turn them under so they aren't so ulgy in a garden.

Once the green leaves have died back you plant. Though you could plant right now since it is in a container. Just be sure to leave the leaves on. When they have died back you can gently pull and the leaves will pull out.