papers for rabbits

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by okiemom, Jan 30, 2005.

1. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

If I want to raise rabbits for our table and to sell for meat do I need to start w/ papered rabbits? Stories guide to rabbits was very vocal on this subject. All rabbits should be papered and the ones that weren't were worthless. What is the deal? Don't papers raise the price too much? thanks Katharine

2. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

When I sell breeding stock, I supply a pedigree at no charge.
    If someone intends to build a herd, keep replacements, and sell
    breeding stock, I believe it is important to have pedigrees.

Registration papers? IMO, that is only necessary for breeders who
    are interested in the hobby of exhibiting rabbits. I don't *show*
    so I don't feel that I need to have registered rabbits.

Linda Welch
    Trader's Connection - Free Listings
    http://www.texasrabbitconnection.com

3. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

I think you're a little mixed up, okiemom. There are registration papers, and pedigrees. Breeders of purebred rabbits will provide pedigrees for all their breeding and show animals, most will give out pedigrees with pet quaility bunnies. These have nothing to do with clubs, they only show the animal's parentage three generations back. A pedigree's not offical, and yes, the breeder could completly have made it up. A registration paper means the animal is recognized by the American Rabbit Breeder's Association as a purebred member of it's breed.

I'd suggest you start off with purebred animals, because you KNOW what you are getting. With a crossbred, some weirdo puney dwarf could show up somewhere down the line. Also, there are certain things like the meat to bone ratio and feed to meat ratio that make it more economical to go with something like a purebred New Zealand. There are a couple different quailities, and you can decide which one you want-

Pet Quaility: These rabbits have some sort of problem that makes them unsuitable for showing, and sometimes breeding. Some of these rabbits would be fine for you. For instance, a New Zealand may have a patch of colored fur, or a colored toe nail.
    However, there are somethings that make the animals unsuitable for breeding period. Maybe they have malloclusion (the teeth grow crooked, sometimes to the point the animal can't eat), or perhaps a buck with only one testical. Be sure to explain why you want the rabbits, and be sure they're ok for breeding
    These rabbits probably go for around $15. Look for a breeder that will provide a pedigree for no extra cost, or offer them a couple extra dollars for it. These are usually purchased as babies.

Breeding Quaility: These just aren't PERFECT enough for the show table, but are good animals for breeding. Most the time, these animals are adults and proven breeders. They cost about $25, and WILL come with a pedigree. Buying what's known as a "Breeding Trio" will probably be easiest for you. These consist of a buck and two does. Since these bunnies are adults and proven, you know you aren't getting a infertile rabbit or a doe that eats all her babies. I recommend these for starting out

Show Quaility: Because these rabbits are expensive and you don't care if you can show them, stay away from these.

Pedigrees are good because you can track who was bred to who. Maybe you breed two rabbits together and find that that litter grew really fast, or were really meaty, and can't remember which rabbits you bred. Also, as mentioned by dlwelch, you can sell the babies to other beginners and they're WORTH something.

Hope this has given you something to go on, and if you have any other questions, feel free to post them.