Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Milk Maid
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else using these sites? We signed on today and mailed out our first book today and will mail out dvds tomorrow.

Seems a good way to find new homes for books/dvds you don't want and get something you want instead. For those of you who don't know how it works - you list your books/dvds you have, and get a "credit" for each book or dvd you mail out to another member. With that credit you can request a book or dvd from a site member, which they then mail to you.

If you already use the sites, what have your experiences been?

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
I use paperbackswap and it works well for me. My mother-in-law gives me a lot of books and after I read them, the ones I won't re-read get listed. I've been able to build up my collection of certain author's books and other books that I want to keep. I've never had a problem with books not arriving or books in bad condition. I have purchased credits and that's still a cheap way to get a book that I want.

·
Premium Member
2,358 Posts
I have been a member on PBS & CD swap for years never had a problem.Great place to get the books I want and I have several listed.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Have used PBS for quite a while and have had no problems and got lots of books to read without buying them,or going to the library.Also got some good ones for my grandkids.Love it!

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
I LOVE Paperback swap! I use it all the time...never a problem :)

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
Another Paperbackswap fan here. Have used it for several years now with good success and no bad experiences.

Along with almost everything else, I lost most of my book collection in the fire at the storage place where I had everything during my move from Montana to Kentucky. I've managed to replace a lot of my "favorite fiction" books that I re-read often in my permanant library as well as a few of the art books, some of which were pretty expensive when I first bought them.

I end up with books I don't want to keep/re-read and I post those .. if they don't go out in six months or so, they go to one of the thrift stores as I have very limited bookshelf space now. But the ones that go out pretty much keep up with the ones I want to "order in".

·
Registered
497 Posts
I love paperbackswap - it works really well! I research books I want on Amazon, and then just go on over to paperbackswap and add them to my list there. Haven't tried their other services, but I do love getting the books!

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
I love it! I am a member of all three sites and have been listing all my cds on swapacd and transferring those credits to paperbackswap for book credits. I have a huge library due to joining them! Since moving out here I stopped playing cds (don't want to disturb the peacefulness of the forest) and only play Christian ones in my truck. I had a huge collection of cds mostly country and classic rock so I have traded them for books. Now I am selling some of my personal books I had to make room for the new ones instead of listing them only because I need the $$.

katlupe

·
Milk Maid
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for posting your experiences! 5 of the DVDs I listed have already been requested and I was feeling a little nervous, but it sounds like you've all had a good experience with the websites.

Do you all use the website to print the wrappers with postage already on, or do you post the books/dvds/cds a different way?

·
Learning everyday
1,960 Posts
I use their system for buying the postage. I've had no problems printing the wrappers and postage that way. I just put them out in my mailbox and off they go! I've received two books this week and both were in like new condition!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been a member of Paperback Swap for a couple of years now and absolutely love it. It is a great source to get books for each school year since we homeschool. I have been able to get several out of print books through PBS. It's frugal - I've saved over $550, you can post after you read the books so they don't pile up (if you don't want them to) and you can print the wrapper and postage from your computer. I save money by not having to go into town to the the post office. My mailman just picks up the books out of my mailbox and I receive the credit that evening. I almost always use delivery confirmation, it doesn't cost very much and is a very cheap insurance. I had a member request two different books and didn't mark them received. I had the tracking due to delivery confirmation. I emailed their customer service, copied and pasted the delivery info, my messages that I sent to the person -- they took care of everything so quickly. The person marked them as received the very next day. In 3 1/2 years, that was the only occurance I have had like that. They have people available to answer questions at all times of the night or day. Wonderful site and resource.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts