Paper Wasps: how to get rid of?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MorrisonCorner, Aug 18, 2006.

1. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Well, our friend, the intrepid 9 year old, was climbing our big oak and discovered quite a sizeable paper wasp nest. Now our usual method of disposal is to fire four shotgun rounds into the nest and torch anything that remains. But this sucker is up there. And at a bad angle.

Am I correct in assuming that if we don't bring this thing down the wasps are going to try and winter over in our house? Given the porus nature of an old farmhouse, this wouldn't be much of a challenge for them.

Any ideas on how to dispose of this thing short of calling Orkin? I employ them to manage several client's properties but the chemicals are something I'd rather avoid, and the initial visit fee is pretty substantial.

2. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

Stay out of the tree and enjoy the fact that they eat other bugs:) The queens might get into your house for the winter, but even if you eliminate this nest there will be others.

3. MorrisonCorner

Ok, I'm with you on the "stay out of the tree" thing... and I had no idea they eat other bugs.. that's cool, but are they attracted to sugar? Specifically, we're planning on doing the Diet Coke and Mentos explosion thing (see www.eepybird.com) and I'd just as soon not have kids being swarmed by wasps!

4. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I thought you were going to do the Mentos and Coke to get rid of the wasps. ROFL

What a fantastic clip. :dance:

5. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Sugar and meat is what attracts them. We fed some wasps one year when bugs were in short supply due to drought. Pretty cool! Just keep the garden hose handy to spray everything down after the "explosion". I assume you wouldn't want sticky kids running in and out of your house anyway. There will be a few wasps, and not just the ones from the nest you see. Washing the sugar away will eliminate the problem before it gets out of hand.

The nest will have few if any wasps left after the first frost. A few fertilized females will survive to repopulate the area next summer and one or two may even hibernate in your house but you won't be overrun. Wasps eat may different bugs, caterpillars, moths, spiders, even other wasps, plus they do a fair amount of pollinating flowers. Generally they leave you alone unless you bother them. (a note to DH, kicking their nest constitutes "bothering them"!!!)

6. dcross

If you figure out a good way to get all the mentos in the bottle before it blows, I'm all ears:) There really shouldn't be enough sugar to attract them, since it's diet soda. I've never seen paper wasps go nearly as "sugar crazy" as yellowjackets do.

7. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, paper wasps are very beneficial to your garden.

Not to hijack your thread, but to get the mentos in the bottle really fast, you can make a long tube out of a manilla folder. Drop them in quickly in the folder and they will slide in the bottle faster than you can put them in one by one.

8. MorrisonCorner

Note to DH.. kicking them constitutes "bothering?!?" oh my word!

dcross.. drill a hole through the cap between 1/8 and 1/4 inch (depending on how long or high you want it to go) string mentos on a piece of thread, string through cap, tighten cap down on bottle, drop string... run!

9. dcross

Yep, we tried the tube of paper, they hung up in there. Never thought about drilling a hole in the cap.

10. MorrisonCorner

I drilled caps and drilled Mentos this morning. Let me say this has to be one of the silliest things I've done as an adult... but I've got 11 loads ready to be mounted on soda and then ripped.

Hopefully we'll get pictures!