Paper Mulch

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by midkiffsjoy, May 13, 2006.

1. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

Last year we tried shreading newspaper to use as mulch around the tomatos. It worked GREAT, but the newspapers wont compost, and I'm having to burn the paper and disc the earth before I can plant something new in that spot. Does this sound about right?

2. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

If it were me, and the the paper wasn't totally compacted, I'd just till it in and plant. Or you could rake the paper up and toss it in the compost pile. Either way, they'll break down eventually.

Pony!

3. midkiffsjoy

giggle. I tried discing it in....it actully clogged up in the disc! giggle. It would have been funny if it hadnt been so annoying.

4. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Do't bother shredding them...just lay out a few layers, and water them. If there's still some uncomposted, just pile on some more, for the next crop.

5. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

No it doesn't sound right. You should cover the paper with grass clippings, weed pullings or leaves/pine needles. Then you have a "brown" and a "green" and they should compost down nicely by the next season making enriched soil, attracting worms (they like to be just under the newspaper). No need to till or disc. Just dig a hole, enrich and plant.

6. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Mine always compost rather quickly. Don't quite make it through the season sometimes.

7. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

I do the same as SusieM: no shredding, just layers, watered. I usually pile something on top of them like grass clippings or straw or, for next season's beds, chicken manure.

8. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Have you watered, at all?

9. midkiffsjoy

Absolutely! grin. The reason I used shreaded newspaper (over unshreaded newspaper) is because it keeps the weeds down. Laying down newspaper and then hay doesnt keep the pigweed from over taking the plants. The shreaded newspaper works great for weed control, but other than burning it (and mixing the ash into the soil) I cant get rid of the old newspaper. I remembered someone else was trying shreaded newspaper and wondered how it was going for them. grin.

10. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

I used newspaper last year as mulch to keep away the goutweed, the bane of my existence. I just layered it and watered it.
    In my veggie garden I used the stuff I shredded around the plants. I still have a few shreds but not many.