Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well that didn't work. :( While I sacked up veggies this weekend at the market in paper bags I got lots of comments about how great it was to avoid plastic, but I went through twice as many bags and they cost twice as much. :( And who the heck puts a cantaloupe in a paper sack? Can't you just carry it in your arms? Nevermind having to double bag them...I ended up taking watermelons, cushaw and cantaloupes to the cars of many. (Which I really didn't mind.)

Back to the drawing board ....

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Make and sell bags out of muslin with your picture of you holding a big armful of veggies. A friend of mine in VA did a cute pillow with our grandson's photo on it which I gave to him. You could charge just enough to cover your materials and time and sell them for under $10.00 each. I'm not sure what the cost to produce them would be since I haven't done it myself...

Or what about loading up on boxes from the grocery stores or liquor stores to hold the produce? Unless someone is disabled or incapable of carrying their purchases you are losing money while away from the stand.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I can't imagine going to a farmer's market and expecting anyone to bag anything. Doesn't everyone bring their own bags? Hmm...I haven't been in a while (we have a farm stand just a half mile away so I get most things I can't grow myself there).

Here is what I would suggest -- buy some reusable bags in bulk and sell them at your stand (with your logo, or not...depending on cost, etc.) . And, have a bin of "used" plastic grocery bags (ask grocery stores if you can take some of their "recycled" bags off their hands) that are free to customers - "bag your own" style....maybe with a sign "Forgot your bag? Help yourself!"

I would never expect a farmer's market vendor to sell me produce and provide new bags. It would be nice if they had used bags just in case I got shop happy and filled my own bags though. So I would see the "used" bags as a great treat, but not expected.

I always wanted to find a way to repurpose used baling twine into garden/farmer's market bags...woven mesh so you could rinse veggies in the bag...but no time...maybe someday.

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
This thread made me think back to the dark ages of my childhood as to what we used before plastic bags. We used paper bags but they were not the thin one you see today. They were heavy, fuzzy things that could support a lot of weight unless wet. I have`t seen any like those in years.
I suppose that I would charge for providing a bag as people should learn to come with their own. Hard to do in competetion with those who don't do it.

Maybe that would be another source of profit to sell reusable produce bags made out of scrap cloth.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I can't remember a farmers market where the sellers didn't have some kind of bags for their produce sales. I've seen paper on occasion (usually for items like glass jars of preserves) but typical bags are usually just plastic, kinda like you'd get when you buy something at Walmart.

Expecting your customers to buy a $10 specialty bag in order to get $3 worth of tomatoes and $2 worth of squash isn't likely to fly. Sure, have them if you want to. You might sell a few. But I don't think most people in the markets I've been to would do much more than walk on by to the next place that has the cheap plastic bags to cheerfully bag whatever you decide to buy. They can be had for under $0.02/each. If you want to get "earth friendly", you can even find them in "biodegradable" versions for a little more money.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
My DIL takes a basket with her when she gos to the market Looks so nice, but I never know when i would go so I dont remember the basket, I cant even remember to put the reusable shopping bags back in the car after I spent the $ on them and used them once.

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
My DIL takes a basket with her when she gos to the market Looks so nice, but I never know when i would go so I dont remember the basket, I cant even remember to put the reusable shopping bags back in the car after I spent the $ on them and used them once.
After I put in quite a few years of that, I developed a method to always have them in the truck when I need them.
I empty the bags after shopping, then hang them on the kitchen doorknob nearest the garage. The first time I leave through that door, I take them to the truck so they're there when I shop.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Exactly what I do to get the bags back in the car. In the summer I keep a cooler in the trunk too... for whatever I might decide to use it for!

Debbie

·
Registered
614 Posts
Reactions: Huffy

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am currently working on making cloth bags out of recycled t-shirts. I acquire the shirts from friends and family cleaning out their closets or purchase them at a thrift store. Either way, I wash and dry them on hot to prevent shrinking, then cut a bag shape out of the front and back. Ex large shirts make 2 large bags, a smaller size makes 1 large bag or 2 small ones. I use the scraps to make rugs or braided cords to hold water around plants. It works well. If you can get a shirt for free or 25 cents, sell the bags for $1/each.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I am currently working on making cloth bags out of recycled t-shirts. I acquire the shirts from friends and family cleaning out their closets or purchase them at a thrift store. Either way, I wash and dry them on hot to prevent shrinking, then cut a bag shape out of the front and back. Ex large shirts make 2 large bags, a smaller size makes 1 large bag or 2 small ones. I use the scraps to make rugs or braided cords to hold water around plants. It works well. If you can get a shirt for free or 25 cents, sell the bags for $1/each.
pictures? :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts