Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a papec 870 grinder mixer at an auction today. Can't really find much online about them. Talked to a few people that had owned papec equipment in the past and thought they were great. Anyone know anything about them? Have an old manuel laying around they want to give me? Most importantly where to source parts?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Artsway made a LOT of grinder/mixers and they were rebranded to a number of companies. I would start there... call around to an artsway dealer and see what they think.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pictures? What did you pay? does it have a scale?
No scale, paid 600$, ill take some pictures tomorrow. It had a bad tire so I came home and got one I had mounted on what I thought was the right size rim but when I got back it wasn't right. It was going to be dark by the time I could get another tire or wheel so I didn't get it home. Probably ought to replace the wheel bearings first also need to pull it about 40 miles. When I got the wheel off that hub sounded pretty rough and dry. Might just repac those but I'd personally would rather spend the money on the bearings and not have problems on the side of the road. Ill replace the races also always replace them in pairs.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I haven't had a chance to use mine yet other than hooking it up and running 10 bu corn through to make sure iit's all working and clean out the crud in the bottom. Looking forward to having it next year when we have more pigs, chickens, and turkeys on the ground.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been working on this between other projects this week. Thought I'd get it back together today but other things poped up. When I bought it I could see that two sprockets were ate up so I had to replace them. Found the cause of that to be the flighting on the mix auger had peeled off. So replaced the flighting, bearing, and sprockets on that shaft. Also replaced both chains on that auger as they were pretty stiff. Tightened up the other chains and oiled them, don't think they had been touched in 30 years. Greased it good. Ive got another $200 in it so I'm up to $800.

It's not rusted out. I can spin it by hand from the PTO shaft easily so nothing is binding up and I should be in good shape once I get it back together. Ill order some
Organic soymeal and premix tomorrow So I can grind feed next week. I think it'll be a pretty decent old grinder but time will tell. Ill post some pictures when I get it back together.

I'm planning on grinding milo this first mix. I have 3/16, 1/4, 1/2, & 3/4 screens. I assume the 3/16 will work for milo? What size do I use for corn? I'm talking about pig feed here. Probably grind some for the calves later but right now needing to get the pigs fed.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Didn't have to replace the wheel bearings. I repacked them and started home. There was an auto parts store 8 miles down the road so I stopped there and checked and the hubs weren't hot at all so figured they were good. They looked fine when I repacked them just dry.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Didn't have to replace the wheel bearings. I repacked them and started home. There was an auto parts store 8 miles down the road so I stopped there and checked and the hubs weren't hot at all so figured they were good. They looked fine when I repacked them just dry.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pay no attention to my messy shop, it'll get cleaned after fall harvest is over.

Certainly nothing fancy but it should make me some money.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I bought an Owatonna 95 at an auction back in July or early August that looks pretty similar to that especially the unload auger. I think Art's Way made all of the grinder mixers at the time. I need to do a weld repair on one of the 90s on my unload auger, it's rusted out from feed sitting there then mice nests. I got after it last weekend and cleaned it out. I just need to figure out how to get the augers out so I can bring the piece into work for repair, I don't have a welder at home and don't want to haul the whole mixer to work with me.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know if arts way made them or not. I've heard both ways and they all look pretty similar in pictures.

If yours is anything like mine it shouldn't be to hard to get the auger out. Unclamp the sections of the auger housing and take off the lock collar and bearing and it'll pull right out.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Bevel gears are keyed. Looks like a 2 jaw puller will push the auger shaft out of the gear after unbolting the bearing carrier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts