Panting?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Sarah J, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

After we finished cleaning out the shed today (spring cleaning - wow! do we have quite a pile of manure now! *grin*) I noticed that my ewe was panting. She did not seem to be in any distress, she was eating and drinking and walking and baa-ing like normal. But she was breathing quite heavily and fast...panting, but with her mouth closed - through her nostrils. It's 73 degrees today - the first time it's been over 60 since last fall. A beautiful day, but certainly not one to make animals *hot*...At least *I* wouldn't think so...

Granted, I've only had her since January, but I've never seen her do this before. Is it normal? Is it a sign of stress? Should I be concerned? It was just weird...

Oh - her lambs seemed fine, playing in the fresh straw and breathing normally.

Sarah

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

You can take her temperature to see if she has an obvious fever. (anything over 103, 102.5 is normal) Pasteurella pnuemonia doesn't always have a cough but is deadly. We use Tetracycline for it here but if you're not sure a call to the vet wouldn't hurt. Take that temp first. She has free choice salt and mineral?

3. prhamell

prhamell Well-Known Member

Mine pant when they're hot. Maybe its just the change in temperature, if nothing's else wrong with her. Becky

4. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Went out this morning - I really don't think I can catch her and hold her long enough to take her temp, but I can check her head again and look at her mouth, etc...She wasn't panting anymore, still seemed fine, and didn't have any signs of fever.

Then there was the moment when she hit the hot wire on the fence while being butted by the lambs - she didn't utter a sound, only took off running like crazy to the shed...she then proceeded to pant for another hour. I'm beginning to think that it is stress related. She was under stress when we had the loud skid loader in the shed and had kicked everyone outside...it seemed to make them nervous. I'm guessing that that's why she was panting.

Oh - and her boil/lump/whatever it was that we lanced is healing up *very* nicely.

Thanks!

Sarah