panthers?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by romancemelisa, Dec 6, 2005.

1. romancemelisa

romancemelisa Well-Known Member

are there panthers in east texas? i swear i just seen one on our road, about 2 miles from the house.

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

3. mountainman_bc

mountainman_bc Well-Known Member

Chances are good that if you saw it- it wasn't a mountain lion. We have healthy populations of them, they stay in the forest well away from civilasations. If there's a road they stay well away. Smart critters. Similar to grizzleys, you only see them if they are sick or if you're really really lucky. (Or if you're abou to be dinner). This is of course generalization, it is possible you saw one.
    Chances are really good it was a bobcat, they look quite similar.

4. So that report that Cabin Fever gave us stated that there are no Black Panthers in North America. So I guess that means that whoever tells you they saw a black panther could very well be fibbing? Cause I have always heard that the tannish brown cougars were most common, but when you talk to someone who claims they have seen a cougar/panther in the wild they always say it was black. In fact I was talking to a lady the other day that said she and her husband saw a panther across the field from their house and I asked what color it was, and as the usuall response that I get, it was "black".

5. bretthunting

bretthunting Well-Known Member

we get 1-2 sitings/year here (western kansas) and i have actually seen two differant photos from differant people who took these pics. they were cougars,not panthers though.

6. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

Panther, cougar, puma, mountain; all the same animal. I've seen their tracks on my place, and the rancher across the road killed one a few years ago. They are shy, but they are all over East Texas. I've only seen one in the wild, and that was about 15 years ago. And it was crossing the highway, about 50-60 yards in front of our car. Bobcat tracks and sightings are much more common.

7. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

The Florida Panther is not actually a panther, but as has been pointed out, a subspecies of the mountain lion or cougar, and they are never black. The only true panthers in the world are the lion, leopard, tiger, and jaguar. Those four belong the genus panthera and have a hyoid bone in their throat which allows them to roar. The jaguar and leopard do have black or melanistic phases. If you get close enough to a black leopard or jaguar you can still the spots. I don't recommend that unless they're dead.

8. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

We've always had stories around here about black panthers being on the loose. Never an actual track, scat, hair or a body just some yahoo in the bar swearing that "him and ol Zeke saw a panther..". One ol boy around here was at one of the local watering holes swearing up and down that he'd seen a panther and no one believed him of course. On the way home from the bar this character had car load of the barflies with him and they all seen a black panther and were determined to kill it and show the doubters that there were indeed panthers roaming around. They ended up shooting a farmer's black lab that was walking between the house and the machine shed.

9. flowerpower

flowerpower Member

I actually did see the Mtn Lion about 2 yrs ago. I watched it cross the road about 2 mi from my house. I was not surprised at where I saw it. About 500 ft away, there is a small farm that has chickens, geese, and sheep. It was definitely not a bobcat. I was less than 100 ft from it. I pulled over to look, but it was gone.

10. Lairvine

Lairvine Pure-T-Mommicked, son!!!

Well here in NC I have always heard the story of the "panter cat" was not sure I believed it till I saw one. It was a cougar/mountain lion...but then again how can it be a mountain lion on the coast? How it goes round here is that the females are the brown/tan ones and the males are black. I don't think they come up with the Carolina panthers football team name out of the blue.
    Lairvine

11. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Hubby saw one standing at the side of the road near Victoria, Texas, a few years ago. Tan, not black, however.

In southern Missouri, we have HUGE bobcats that are almost the size of cougars. Of the two we have seen, one was the regular bobcat coloring, and the other was a VERY dark version thereof.

12. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

I shot one nine years ago on a hunt I went on. Althought not black per se it did have a blackish line of hair the full width of its back much like the florida ''panthers''. Guide told me this was an average of 4 out of ten having this. Take that and low level light and the fact that when you see one they are usually low to the ground and I can see the confusion of ''black'' cougars/panthers. I have some pics around here somewhere I will post when I can.

13. romancemelisa

romancemelisa Well-Known Member

Well now I'am confused and don't know what it was, it was as big as our basset hounf and it was black as my mother's cat. We live 5 miles back off the main road, no one back here but family, a chicken farm and a few cow's, it was also 10:00am total daylight and we were only a 100ft -150ft away, in the car, he was in the road and jumped up a 15ft. embankment.

Really enjoyed the links to the articles by W.T. Block, I lived in Port Neches for 18yrs. and know his name well, there are even streets named after him.

14. Country Doc

Country Doc Well-Known Member

A game warden friend of mine says no. I have had numerous patients say they have seen one, some black. I have seen large cat tracks. I am near Longview.

Scarry story:
    A few years ago, while checking fences I came up to a barbed wire fence a deer had been caught in by flipping and twisting the wire. What I saw was the pelvis and hind legs left and still making final spasms and bleeding. A trail of blood and drag marks headed to the woods. Whatever got the deer was big enough to tear it in half at once. Had been alive about 2 minutes or less before I got there.
    I always thought it was a cougar . Bear is a possibility.

15. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

I dunno about the rest of the US, but there ARE jaguars in Arizona. There's the occasional photograph to prove it. Historically, they ranged as far north as the Grand Canyon; in modern times, they haven't been definitively documented farther north than a few miles past the Mexican border. That's "documented."

I've learned to keep my mouth shut about what I've seen, tho. For some reason Jaguar sightings are chalked up there with bigfoot and UFO's for ridicule factor.

Leva

16. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Aren't jaguars spotted? Not black. Or Tan?

17. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

They have a mutation that is fairly common and looks black from a distance. Up close, you can see the spots as denser areas of black. They're smaller than a lion, but a good bit larger than a bobcat.

If you see a wild cat, first thing to look for is a TAIL. A bobcat has a bobbed tail. If you see a tail, it's not a bobcat.

Good thing to also do is establish the ACTUAL size of what you're looking at. We used to have a 15+ pound solid-muscle black (and a little white, but mostly black) house cat who was large enough, at 15 pounds, to eat off the kitchen table with his hind feet on the ground. People always overestimated how big he really was, often guessing around 20-30 pounds. On a dark night, without something to establish real size -- say, he was just standing in the grass -- he looked bigger than he really was.

Leva

18. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

We live in NW la right next to the Texas stateline. When we bought the land there were the stories about the panthers out here...of course we didn't believe them until at 11:30 one night we saw one for ourselves. A black panther. Now we have seen it three times in the past two years. I understand they travel in about a 150 mile circle...beautiful animal and thus far has not bothered any livestock or us.

19. pioneergal

pioneergal Member

I grew up in an area of Central Louisiana and I remember every year around autumn we had a panther travel along the creek behind our home.

My dad and a few others had spotted it on occasion.

I'll never forget early one morning after my dad had left for work....about 4:30...the panther screamed and nearly scared me out of a years growth.

We had a German Shepherd, "Lady" that was very protective but that morning she made nary a move or sound!

We always let a porch light burn at night .....someone said it would keep the creature away.