Panther I, People 0

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cindy in KY, May 2, 2005.

1. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

What a shocking nightmare for those people. Shame on the FWC for letting that cat loose. I can't imagine anything so horrid as my animals being ripped and eaten daily and with nothing I could do about it. Those people need to put the bait into a large steel cage and catch it, and padlock it.

You know, really makes no sense, except FWC wanting the bogus endangered species funding. In fact, Steve and I watched a special on The Weather Channel yesterday evening about a big cat rescue in Florida. The hurricanes were approaching, and they had to lock-down the cats in small strong runs. During the first hurricane, a large tree fell on the tall perimiter fence, thus making it possible for a cat to escape the compound IF the cat's run was also smashed and opened. The second inside fence was allready down. The 2 ladies who ran the rescue, at that point, had to stay on guard over 30 hours outside in the hurricane, to patrol and make sure the cats were secure in their runs. 35 big cats. The ladies were carrying shotguns. They said over and over, IF one of the cats escaped it's run, it would have to be shot and killed by one of them, period. They knew this. Both of the gals said it's the law and also the only thing to do. That even though they cared for the cats and loved them, some even bottle raised in their homes, a loose cat with a downed perimiter fence, no exceptions, no trying to catch, just shoot to kill. They said that even though they loved the cats as pets, it was not worth even one human being in danger. They said hurricanes and severe storms make the cats crazy and not tame anymore.

The 2 ladies & a daughter had to stay out there at their own danger too, trees & power lines down all over their compound, trees falling all the time. 30 hours carrying shotguns in the blinding rain and wind. And they were ready to shoot to kill any cat that got loose. And then another even worse hurricane came a few days after that one!

It makes NO sense that that cougar has a right to live there. It's a wild cougar from out west. These big cats at the rescue were pets, but law says they must be shot if there is any danger of them getting loose into the public. What an outrage that the cougar with the radio collar can roam and kill at will. Same thing is going on the Missouri.

The petting zoo people should trap the cougar and take it to the rescue ladies down there and not say anything. The rescue ladies would agree it's absolutely wrong to let it roam loose. The show was called Animal Storm Survivors.

2. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

About the same B.S. we've had to put up with for years with the grizzly bear and wolf since it's reintroduction

3. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

Cats taking livestock is one thing. But what happens when they take a child? There have been cats in Texas for years and sightings occasionally in our area. So far they haven't attacked livestock. They have a large enough range and live off other wild game. But as deforestation of this area is rampant their territories are shrinking and that is when the problems will start here.

On another note. There have been sightings of an African lion in the area west of Kerrville, Texas. This is wide open, wild country and someone was tired of their pet lion or this was an illegal "canned hunt" which went wrong and the animal escaped. The lion has been sighted by employees on a ranch building fence and some others. So now there is a dangerous animal possibly injured roaming around the ranches out there.

4. 4nTN

4nTN Well-Known Member

5. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Only the start if the earth charter gets ratified in more places--read it and oppose it, or this stuff will happen more often in the future...

6. jack_c-ville

jack_c-ville Well-Known Member

Most panthers will leave people and domesticated animals alone. They mind their own business. When something like this starts happening, that panther is an aberration. It should be either killed or captured without hesitation.

A policy of killing or removing such animals would not pose much of a threat in terms of conservation due to the rarity of 'rogues' like this one (relative to the overall population of panthers). Sort of like Florida's policy for alligators. If the creature becomes a violent problem, kill it. If it leaves people and domesticated animals alone then protect it.

7. John_in_Houston

John_in_Houston Well-Known Member

Please imagine this next in the voice of Jan Brady:

"Earth Charter, Earth Charter, Earth Charter! Why is it always about the Earth Charter????"

Thank you.

8. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Well, if you read it once or twice carefully-you'll find lots of bad stuff in it...

9. gleepish

gleepish Well-Known Member

Just for giggles I have to point out that David Shealy is a self appointed expert on the elusive Florida Skunk Ape--kin to Big Foot. :haha:

Not as funny, is that prior to this panther showing up, the brothers used to go around making fake cat calls and leaving fake panther tracks for the campers to oogle over in the morning--and advertising gimik to draw in customers.

Also, this cat was captured by the FWC later last year or early this year, I don't know what happened to it after that--but as far as I know the brothers are still waiting for their judgement from the courts.

10. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

If the government loves their critters so much, they should relocate them!

Now, I don't particularly think that they should be shot- Florida panthers ARE endangered, and it would be a real shame to wipe out a species that has been here for thousands of years, just over a couple goats. On the FIRST attack on livestock, the animal should have been sent out to the bush or in a zoo for a captive breeding program. AND the owners of the goats should be fully re-embursed for their lose.