panels for truck?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Dreams30, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Dreams30

Dreams30 Lady Rider

I posted this in the cattle forum also.

My memory is gone so this is a really dumb question...I remember my dad having some panels that would fit into the slots on the truck bed and make it able to haul livestock. What are these things called? and where might I look to find some?

OK, so far I have looked at tractor supply under the terms "cattle rack", "rack", "truck accessories", etc. and through yahoo search under those same terms. The only things I can find are bike racks, ladder racks and fancy suv do-dads.

I know that someone makes these and that I should be able to buy them, I just may not be using the correct search terms.

If someone could give me more terms to use or even better, a link, I would sure appreciate it.

2. Scomber

Scomber Well-Known Member

use "stake side" as part of the search? Or maybe "side stake" and "pannel"?

Dan

3. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

We called them stock racks. I haven't seen one since I was a teenager.

4. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

5. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

I seen a perfectly good stock rack sold at auction for 40 bucks last week.

6. tooltime

tooltime Border Ruffian

Are you talking about the stake pockets on a pickup truck box, or a flatbed truck with stake pockets?

Bumper and gooseneck trailers really decreased the demand for wooden stock racks, but they still exist. A lot of the manufactures don't make them for pickups any more, but you might check local classies or farm sales. I still have a one-ton pickup with a wooden rack with roof and removable slats. I've hauled two cows in it and it's nice for hauling sacked feed when the weather's bad. I had to move the stake positions because the box was originally built for a Chevy pickup. They made them with short sides, flip up sides. Now, you see more and more of the slide-in stock racks made out of steel.

You don't need a loading chute if you've got a dirt bank or ditch.

7. Dreams30

Dreams30 Lady Rider

Needed for a pickup truck

8. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Been there, done that, have some. As stated, they are called stock racks.
    There were also the slide in kind made of tubing.

The problem with either (stake pocket or slide in) is the need for having a loading chute. Animals aren't thrilled with going up the ramp into them. An animal will simply step into a trailer, and unload from them easily. Pretty hard for them to jump down from the back of a pickup.

Hauling cattle in a stock rack in a pickup isn't much fun either. Since the weight of the livestock is well above tire level, any movement the animal easily translates into a lot of truck body/bed movement. A 1,000 pound cow isn't a bit of fun to haul in my opinion.

Some stock racks simply folded down over truck sideboards, note truck, not pickup.

Some racks were wooden, some tubing. Make whichever tall enough so that the animal doesn't try to go over the top of one.

9. superduperchickenman

superduperchickenman Well-Known Member

side boards, rack, pick up side cattle panels, stock racks,,,

I prefer a good trailer. I've seen these made of wood blted together also.

10. tim1253

tim1253 Well-Known Member