Panel home

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Hello, I'm building a panel home and want to put metal roofing on it. The roof will have panels also. My question is, has anyone attempted this before. Most people say go with shingles. Thanks.

2. 1farmgirl

1farmgirl Well-Known Member

Sorry if I sound dumb, but what do you mean by panels?

Kathy

3. Panel homes are kits that are made up of 4x8 panels that have the foam insulation and sheathing on both sides. very air thight and quick to put up. I can give a website if you like.

4. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

yea post that link..
    my roof is metal 5 rib panels, my shingles were shot and the sheet metal screwed right in top of them, a bit of roof calking and its great. snow doesnt lay on it, it slides right off, even the morning dew collects on it and i get "rain" running off it in the morning. its a real bugger to walk on.. like a sliding board. Its baked on white paint keeps my roof inside much cooler than the black shingles did, you could bake a chicken in there, now its barely warm in summer (inside the roof).
    I would like to see these panels.. link link link!!

5. www.valubuild.com
    Did you use nails or screws for your metal roof?

6. 1farmgirl

The tin they have now has a warranty of about 50 yrs (I think) and most shingles are about 20-25yrs. This tin is what we are planning to replace our shingle roof with in the next couple of years. Our roof right now is 15+yr and is starting to show its age. I would imagine the tin panels are real versital, however, I don't know how condensation would be on the underside. My barn is made up of these metal panels and I do have some leakage on the underside. Not sure why yet. Probably blowing in from the unfinished front side and running down. Haven't really investigated when it was raining.

Kathy

7. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

The metal roof, with its life expectancy of 50 years, should be your only choice.

Condensation happens when warm meets cold. If your house is properly vented, you won't have the condensation problem. This isn't rocket science. Either its vented properly.....or it isn't.

8. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    I've got a metal roof and wouldnt think of anything else. Fast and easy to put up and once its there you can pretty much forget it. I wouldnt think of shingles.

9. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I used screws to put part of it on, then noticed after a year the screws were "backing out" i dunno why or how, so the rest was put on with ribbed nails and screws in different places (you use what you got). I rescrewed the the ones that needed it, the nails didnt back out.
    I have tin over my hay barn and my horse shed and wood shed and they dont condense on the inside at all.
    I was told they are noisy in the rain... I dont think they are, I dont even hear t raining unless its really coming down. I was told they leak, myine only leaked in one spot and thats because i didnt tar the overlap there and after I did it never leaked. i was told the wind would rip them off, Ive had winds uproot trees and rip down fences here and the roof never budged.
    I'm slowly resurfacing my moms roof also.
    mine said it has a 50 yr warranty on the painted panels against rust THROUGH... that means a hole, not a rusty panle i imagine. but you can repain them easy enough. repainting beats the hell out of reshingling it!

10. 1farmgirl

I'm pretty sure that the condensing underneath in my barn is from the unfinished edge. We're planning on adding on and there is no overhang whatsoever so I'm sure it just blows in and runs down the length of the tin. However that is on the back burner (prioritize :rolleyes: ) for now. I'm just happy to have a barn. Took 4 years to get that and it does the job. The rain does make a noise, but I think it's a comforting noise. What really will shock you out of your boots-well almost- is when guinneas crash land on a tin roof. Or 'tiptoe' across. For as light as they are they are sure loud (more ways than one :haha: ) It took some getting used to.

Kathy

11. Just wanted to say thanks to all for the insight.

12. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

I have a friend who is constructing buildings out of a similar material, the panels he's using are food grade panels used to make walk in coolers. Some of you know that I do some dairy-ing. My husband and I just had him put up a building for our dairy and on-farm store. 24x24, $8k excluding foundation, plumbing. electric. The insulating properties are so important to us in this climate, heat is the big enemy of dairy products, I've been in these buildings in mid-summer, in Houston...I'm fairly certain that a simple floor fan will keep the building comfy, except maybe in August <BG>. Tremendous value as far as I'm concerned.