Panel Concepts vs. Do-it-yourself cabins

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by amarillo, Aug 1, 2005.

1. amarillo

amarillo Well-Known Member

I am looking for some information regarding the costs of building a small cabin. I looked at cabins from www.panelconcepts.com, and they have a 12x23 cabin for $5825 plus $986 for a steel roof. These prices do not include shipping. I was wondering if any of you here have any idea how much it might cost to build a structure that size yourself?

If you were to pay someone to build a small structure like I mentioned, does anyone have any idea about labor costs? Are there any carpenters, builders, here who can advise me about which would be more cost effective?

2. quadrants2

quadrants2 Well-Known Member Supporter

the cost of labor could easily be twice the cost of materials. i have been looking at sheldon designs for my cabin and he quotes a huge range but he has some other good info on building .you might check out that website.
    he has an ad in mother earth news i think..or maybe countryside but its called sheldon designs anyway...good luck and let me know what ya find...
    im building a cabin in the spring too!
    cya quad

3. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Frankly nearly 7K. for a cabin 12 x 23 is an outrage to my mind, even if its completely finished inside with heat and a plumbed bathroom. When we started our place in missouri, the first thing we built was a 12x20 pole building with a shed roof. It was raised off the ground with the deck suspended on the posts. 2x10 floor joists with insulation and a 3/4 inch PT plywood decking. The walls were conventionally framed between the posts. The doors and windows were second hand but even new would have not been too expensive. Its wired and heated with a wood stove, paneled in luan sheets divided into panels with pine battens and plastered ceiling. It now forms the kitchen of a larger house. We built and finished it over a period of time but if the three of us had worked steady for two weeks we could have finished it completely in one go. If the whole shooting match cost me 3k in materials it would be a miracle. Metal roof would cost a bit more nowadays but not that bad for something that small. Granted it doesnt have plumbing or a bathroom but that sure wouldnt cost another 4k. With very minimal building skills and the help of a few friends or relations you could certainly do it for less than 7k. Even a good carpenter working alone or with two guys could do it in a week. Around here that would cost you about 300 a day in wages or about 2.5 k for a 7 day week. If you are interested in some simple plans and ideas and an estimate on doing a simple pole house like I describe, drop me a PM and we can discuss what you need. Im leaving Thursday and will be gone about 10 days but Id be glad to help later this month with some plans. Good luck.

4. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

You can ballpark that size building using Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDU...d_storage-St&ovmkt=ALM1C4NNSANM20BA1QUATBCF38

The $7 K figure might not be that far off, if they deliver. The best way to build smaller structures if cost is a prime driver is used free salvage / recycled materials. I've built a bunch of sheds and storage that way. The total out of pocket cost for one 16' x 10' x 9' beauty was around $400. Mostly for the roof / top coat paint. Everything else including the first paint coats were freebies. That one had super wide 4' heavy metal double doors gotten out of a plant that was closed.

Check your phonebook for salvage yards in your area. Better yet, get some local contractors to save you some materials from something they are tearing down. They will love you, especially if you help and haul.

Or find the main materials local cut at some sawmill or have your own trees sawn. If you want a really low cost cabin must scounge and be willing to get a bit dirty. Can look super just by buying a pretty skin, shingles or paint.

If you go the conventional buy the sticks, going to be well up into the thousands, even if somebody will work very cheap.

5. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

you should be able to buy material for a 12x24 using 2x6 precuts studs, trusses, 5/8 plywood roof with shingles, t1-11 sheathing for about 3500. add windows and doors to that

6. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Looked thru there catalog and didn't see where any of there kits included the floor.