Pallet fence

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by pcdreams, Dec 28, 2004.

1. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

any of you ever build a fence out of pallets? I know it wouldn't be perfect but I was thinking I could use some t-post that I already have and just set the pallets over them. Doesn't have to be real tall or real sturdy. Just enough to keep two dogs out.

Thoughts

2. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

I have built some small pens with them. Hard part is the corners. Getting them to meet up togeather depends on the type of pallet. Adding some bailing wire to your palet fence will help.

3. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I built one to fence in pigs. I used only oak pallets. I tied the corners together with boards making a sort of triangle, I used two boards at each corner. Two by fours could be used, but you would need very long spikes. I also used long ardox(sp) nails to nail them(the pallets) together as well. It held up well to 6 200lb pigs. And probably hold up for another year at least.

4. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

if you can keep the size uniform they make a great fence.

I use those super heavy chep ones for walkways.

standard 48x40's make a good fence in general, if you need it for cows or horses use fenceposts to hold them up every 3rd one and string electric wire on the posts.
    they do rot if they touch the ground so I lay a slabwood plank down to set them on and the plank rots and the pallet stays dry.

5. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

over the years have made hudreds of feet of pallet fencing after 14 years have started cutting up some for fire wood . we tye the pallets side rails together with tye wire and over time they do get short! still kept the cows and then the sheep and ponies out of places they should not be .dogs well they figured out the openings! still might be good base then dog proof .corn crib wire makes good dog penning have some thats been in use for 35 years.

6. pcdreams

I'm going to see about pallets sometime soon (maybe next week If I can get everything cought up with). It'll be going around the garden.

Any ideas for gates?

7. Aohtee

Aohtee Well-Known Member

8. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I can't get this link to work.

We get about 20 pallets of merchandise each week at work. Once we move, I'll be bringing most of them home with me. Some will certainly be used as fencing.

9. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

10. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Thank you. I think it's very attractive. At first I thought they were making a picket fence but it turns out to be a stockade/privacy fence. It seems that if one wanted a picket fence, those first couple of pictures would be a good starting point.

11. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

If the top of your fence is going to be level you can add a 2X4 top plate to tie the pallets together and gain lots of strength. Put the butt joints of the 2X4's in the middle of a pallet and dont be afraid to use lots of 16 penny nails.

12. pcdreams

Hey thanks for that link. Lots of things I never though of on there. Now I know how to build it taller.

{danger danger Mind is going}

would be a simple matter of more pallets to make it a privacy fence :)