Pairie Dogs

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by idontno, Jun 23, 2004.

1. idontno

idontno Well-Known Member

Anyone got problems with them...I have 30 acres of them and try to control them. But neighbor has 600 acres.Every year I get all his offsprings.Can someone give me a good cure? Short of a electric fence.Maybe a concrete wall.

2. Oh man that sounds like paradise.

You can probably rent Day Passes for varmint hunters... $20 a day, bag all you want, man I'd pay for a day pass several times a month at least!

You don't have a problem, you have a blessing in disguise!

3. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

You might contact animal rights groups toxsee if they offer anything along the lines of prairie dog birth control.... vasectemy for selective male PDs, perhaps a patch for those females who cant get her male to go under the knife. Its worth a shot....22 that is.

There is a prarie dog fishin tourney in colorado that gets boycotted by the environmentalists, perhaps they might trap a few and inject a new strain into that herd!!!!

Short of shootin the lil varmits i cant think of any way to keep the population down, we used poision years ago and the bad thing about that was when the goverment decided that what was available was really bad tyhe product that replaced it only made the gophers/ ground squirrels fat [we dont have prairie dogs in Idaho where i grew up]. Still have the "gopher machine" at my uncles place, which we used in the spring of the year, but dont know if any gopher bait is availbe for prairei dogs or not.

Is the nieghbor against having a shooting party for a few weekends every year?

4. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Prairie dogs have one litter of 4 each year. They live about 10 years or more. Each spring Mom and Dad kick out last year's litter. Then they spend the summer teaching the new dogs how to dig and be good p-dogs. As a result, there are a lot of new holes occupied each spring. The growth of the colony expands from the outer edges. You are the recipient of your neighbors excess. A visual barrier has some level of success in controlling the growth. The barrier works better if it is solid, like a brick wall. If the wall cuts through a related group in the colony it wont work at all. I suggest you exterminate on your property and about 50 feet onto your neighbor's property if they will allow it. Then when you erect the wall you will have a few years of no prairie dogs. The wall should go below ground. I suggest ZP oats, but you should wait until winter to use them. Oats are prized by many non-target critters.

5. Where do you live?

I'll be there in a minute to help....

Agree with the above post hunters will pay to shoot them. I'm on another varmint hunters forum and can pass you e-mail address on to them if you are interested.

Dave

6. danielbrown

danielbrown Active Member

22-250, 243, 223, 25-06.
    with any of these you can pop the critters from 200yds easy. they can be had in pawn shops pretty cheapy too.
    get an at least 9X scope and have fun.

the 30-06 and may have too much recoil for some people.

7. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I'll bet my Jack Russell would have a blast. :D

big rockpile

8. idontno

idontno Well-Known Member

I am using aluminum phosphide tablets.They are working on new holes but for the old ,deep holes it don't seem to work very good.But the fumes off it will drive you to drinking.I have got sick from them a lot.Make you feel bad for a few days.On other websights they say to wear cotton clothes and cotton gloves.They show a person with pills in their gloved hand.WOW.I never touch,but use the lid for a can to throw them down the hole.I use rubber gloves and NEVER touch any of them let alone put them in my gloved hand.They release gas to any moisture.I would think that cotton gloves and a lil sweat would make you deathly sick.As for guns...It would take several hundred guys months to get even a good control on them.My Neighbor has people come out and shoot.What a cluster XXXX.They use 117 cal in 223 bullets.I don't mind the shooting but the stray bullets....... I have cattle on the pasture and I'm often out fixing fence and will hear bullets going over my head.That is scary....Them lil bullets will travel a long way if they don't hit the ground first.When I do let people in to hunt they are mostly good about shooting PD's besides everything else.But then I get people that drive by and shoot out across pasture with guns and don't mind my cattle.I can't watch the road all the time.And yes I have had shoots that have hit within 10 feet of me....I just want to shoot back.No shooting signs don't mean anything to them.If they would ask ...Yes I will most likely let them shoot.I have had several bullets go through my shed,Cars,combine,and a window shoot out of my house.SO....I'm pretty picky who shoot around here.What really chaps me is ..My neighbor charges 100.00 a day per gun.I spend that much trying to keep his pets under control.He does not care if they come on my place or the neighbors.We are all getting tired of killing them out for him just not care and raise more the next year.Every time I look across my place I think of the Caddy Shack Movie..But I can't find any dynamite or Napom to buy.

9. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Aluminum phosphide tablets work great if you use them correctly. In CO you must have a license or a farm permit to buy.

First, you need a lot of newspaper and a way to tote it. I drill holes in the four corners of a cement mixing tub. Then I thread a rope through and use it like a sled. It will tote enough paper for about 50 holes. Its a lot easier than carrying the stuff.

One container of tablets is enough for 125 holes.

I outfit myself with one or two helpers. I usually drag the sled and drop the tablets in the hole - 4 each. I use the maximum on the label so I don't have to come back. This is 99% effective if you pay attention to doing it right.

One helper gets a stick. A 6 foot section of stair rail is about perfect.

The other helper gets a shovel. A long handle and pointed blade are best.

After I drop the tablets, I throw a wad of paper over the hole. The paper is the trick. You need enough to slow the dogs down so the poison can kill them. I don't count pages, but I'm guessing about 20 large pages. Some big holes need more paper.

Now the helper with the stick jams the paper in the hole and pokes at it until it is packed. This is the most important step. It must be packed tight. If there is not enough paper, add more. You can tell by the feel when its packed or if it needs more paper. If the stick goes right in easily, you need more paper. If the stick wont push the paper in, you have too much.

Now the guy with the shovel takes the cue from the stick man and starts shoveling dirt over the newpaper.

The stick man keeps poking so the fill dirt is also packed.

If there is only one helper the tablet man carries the shovel instead of dragging the sled. The stickman drags the paper.

One guy can do 20-25 holes per hour. Two guys can do 60-70 holes per hour. Three can do more than a hundred.

Densities of holes vary by property. When the holes are dense, 3 man teams do best. If the holes are spread out, two man teams cover the territory faster. Heavily infested property can have more 100-200 holes per acre. At this density the ground will be bare. I try to start early and finish before noon. I pay a lot and by the hole. For example, if 6 men do 600 holes, I would pay 50 cents per hole split between the workers. This gives an incentive to haul a**. Peer pressure to keep up the pace and finish before we get cooked works great. For some reason, human nature maybe, the workers calculate their hourly rate and exagerate. As above, 2 teams of 3 would take 3 hours to do 600 holes. Thats $300 divided by six or 50 dollars each for 3 hours. It costs me 300 whether its done in 3 hours or 5 hours. The chemical costs 50 cents per hole, and the newspaper is free. I charge less per hole as the number of holes increase. I start at $5 and go as low as $3.50.

10. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

Ifn i was gettin a $100.00 per firearm shotin per day i would quit farmin and go to raising praie dogs and wouldnt care about the neighbors place either!!!! No wonder you dont get help.... Perhaps a sheet of ply wood with the words shoot the prairie dogs for FREE painted on it along the road a couple spots might help along with contact the owner of thep orperty who has you in his sites as well. Owner returns all hostile fire..... ok some rednecks drinkin beerz cannot read..... and wouldnot stop anyhow.... but most would and just as soon as you post this the nieghbor might be more concerned about helpingyou out if it dips into his action..... you can always let your freeshooters shoot along the fenceline...

William

11. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Get a couple of standard dauchunds. They will go down in the burrows and clean the critters out for you. I had one that took care of a major armadillo problem. Boy did he ever have fun doing it too.

12. Ann-NWIowa

Ann-NWIowa Well-Known Member Supporter

Rattle snakes and bull snakes love the little critters. I'm sure there are other natural predators. Encourage the predators on your neighbor's land while you work with poison etc. to eliminate them off your property.