paintless hives

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by Paul Wheaton, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

It's possible that I'm just taking one wacky idea way too far ....

I've made all sorts of structures now on sleds. Basically two 2x6's with some 2x4's on them, then some sort of metal roof on top of that. I make the metal roof extend quite a ways so that I end up not putting a drop of paint on any of the wood. I really like this. I move these structures around on a whim by dragging them with the tractor. I have a sawmill, so the wood is sorta free. And I have a source on metal roofing that makes that free too (although it often isn't pretty).

So now I've got a bee in my bonet about honey for next year. I'm cruising through catalogs and gearing up to purchase materials. A lot of these hives come unpainted and I'm thinking ..... Why not put eight hives on a sled with a metal roof?

Okay - so this is the point where I ask the experts. There is probably a very good reason to not do it this way. I'm just too much of a newbie to see this reason. Anybody?

2. rainesridgefarm

rainesridgefarm Well-Known Member

This is a great idea and has been done on old running gears from hay racks. But if you have any driving rain it will rot the wood sooner then later. I would still paint them, you could put four pointing north and four pointing south and they would be just fine. The books say all enterances should point south or southeast but mine are on pallets and the productivity is the same.

3. Beestingz

Beestingz New Member

My first hive 10 or 12 years back was one that my wife painted... then after that I've always used linseed oil. Every few years I'd add another coat tothe hives. I soaks in best in the summer and doesn't bother the bees. No sign of rotting on any of my hive bodys.