painting vinyl siding

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by essalona, Jun 12, 2005.

1. essalona

essalona New Member

Hi
    Has anyone ever painted their vinyl siding? My husband and I have found a home we would like to purchase, but it is PINK. A very pale shade of pink. The siding is only 5 years old so it is in good condition other than being pink. It seams that their are special paints for just this purpose and they claim to last 10 to 12 years. But I would like to hear from someone who has actually done it. I'm pretty skeptical.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Essalona

2. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

We painted aluminum siding a few years back. We cleaned with TSP, used a good paint, with the manufacturer's primer. It has held up quite well.

Rick

3. Orville

Orville Well-Known Member

It seems like painting vinyl siding just defeats the whole purpose of it. How old is the existing siding? If it's 10+ years, why not just rip it off and apply new, high quality siding? It's not that big a job, and it will last many years.

4. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

I'm bumping this up because I'd like to know the answer, too!!!! :) I know what you mean!

And putting NEW siding on isn't an option! The old isn't bad. My house, by the way, is mint green. Ugh. I'm not a "mint green" person. But I guess that is better than pink. A strange color like that makes resale value worse. I heard that it is a $10K "faux pas" to have a strange color like that when you go to sell.

Don't you always wonder, "what were they thinking...."???

I see that they make paints now for plastic lawn furniture. Of course, I wouldn't want to buy 2,000 cans of spray paint. But it must be out there....

Chris

5. cchapman84

cchapman84 Well-Known Member

From everything I've heard, you can't paint vinyl. It expands and contracts too much with the weather, so the paint just peels and cracks. If anyone knows any differently, let me know, cause I want to paint my house too!

6. DAVID In Wisconsin

DAVID In Wisconsin Well-Known Member

As a house painter, I've always said you cannot paint vinyl siding. Aluminum siding holds paint very well. But, a few weeks ago as I was telling a guy I wouldn't paint vinyl siding, he showed me vinyl siding that he painted 5 years ago with ordinary house paint. It still looks good and it isn't peeling or flaking. The web site above was also an eye opener. Go figure...

7. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I painted the vinyl siding of the builidng 3 years ago with vinyl exterior paint. It's not faded, cracked, peeled or shown any negative appearance. Looks to me it will last a few more years, and then I would probably repaint it.