Painting laminate

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by starjj, Dec 29, 2006.

1. starjj

starjj Well-Known Member Supporter

Not sure this is the "right" place to post this but here goes.

Not being able to afford new laminate countertops I was wondering if anyone has ever tried painting them. How does it look at the end? I am so sick of these yellow with gold specks countertop I could scream. Now my kitchen is pretty small so if it is possible it shouldn't be a big job. Any advice as to how I accomplish this?

P.S. my S.O. is TOTALLY against this idea as he says it will look terrible

2. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

3. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

There are many types of laminate some you paint on some are the kind that you gule on. The gule on ones are the fast way to get a great finish. The paint on ones are probily the best but it takes much time. The top must be sanded and redy to seal you paint on many coats of politurine and let it dry after each coats and sandpaper after each coats .After 30 or 40 coats you will have a nice finished.

4. oz in SC

mrs oz here :)

Just had another thought too. You can actually tile over formica/laminate. Again, you have to sand it first to give it some tooth.........but that could be an option. Some tile places toss out discontinued samples, etc. We used to keep a bin out back that was free to whoever wanted to come pick it up.....or we had stuff around for teachers doing craft projects. So, you could do a mosaic kind of look for the tops and put a wood edging around it. Food for thought.

5. starjj

Thanks for the replies. I went to the Home Depot and they were really helpful too. The web site was very informative Mrs Oz THANKS. Now just have to slide this one past the S.O. (maybe he won't notice) LOL.

6. kmaproperties

kmaproperties Well-Known Member

We sanded ours, primed with gripper by gliddens, painted with satin enamel, and then 3 coats of water based poly. lasted 3 years, then we redid the entire kitchen. we used a foam mini roller, gives it a nice smooth finish.

7. farmergirl

farmergirl Well-Known Member Supporter

8. js2743

js2743 Well-Known Member

go to lowes for help

9. starjj

Tired to post this yesterday but couldn't get it through. I too find Home Depot totally lacking in help when you go there. The ONLY reason I chose them against Lowes was because I had a gift certificate that I got for complaining about their lousy customer service. I just happened to get very lucky yesterday and found the ONE helpful person in the store. LOL A rare occurance at Home Depot.

10. starjj

Just a note to all you who may be wondering how painting laminate turns out. I have painted the primer and color (used a satin laminate paint) and it has turned out wonderful. It really refreshes the look of the kitchen (much better than yellow with gold speckles) lol. I used a mocha color and just have to do the 3 protective coats. The S.O. who was TOTALLY against it was impressed even. Thanks to Mrs. Oz for the website. So for less than $30.00. I have a whole new countertop but remeber I have a small kitchen so I only had to buy a quart of primer and a quart of paint. I probably could have done it even cheaper but I went with a high end paint. I am going to be getting a new sink also so it really will be like a whole new kitchen at least to me. :dance: Hope it holds up for at least a couple of years.

11. oz in SC

mrs oz here :)

Hey Starjj......did you take before and after pictures?? Post some for us.