Homesteading Forum banner

painting inside

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Wolf mom 
#1 ·
I live in a manufactured house. Kids unfortunately the kids have used markers on the walls. So may paint the bed rooms all the same colors but the problem will be may carpet it is red/burgundy color and the walls are white with grey designs in it hard to explain it and it is not true drywall. As in have molding between the panels. I want to get all the walls with real drywall later for stronger walls looks better and should be somewhat quieter. I was in a house a few weeks ago and it had that rough paint kind of like a ceiling has. I know that is on forever,anyone has this? I would like to have all/most of the walls the same but bathrooms and kitchen does not. Anyone have any ideas? thanks

#2 ·
I think what you are referring to is popcorn paint. I had it in a beach house I owned on the Outer Banks and it peeled off the ceiling after many years. I was the 2nd owner, so I don't know exactly how long it was on before it started falling off. It came off in big pieces.

There is also texture paint. I guess the trick with these types of paints is to make sure you prep real well and make sure walls are clean before painting. If you want a look like plaster, you could use drywall mud or spackling and dab it on with a sponge or spackling knife.

#5 · (Edited)
Why go to the time and expense of texturing your walls if you are going to tear them down and put up drywall in the future? Save that money and put insulation between the walls for better sound proofing when you remodel. (Had that in a townhouse I owned. It was between the bedroom & bathroom. You could not hear the shower or anything!)

If you really what to do it right, have a professional come in and spray a knock down orange peel texture over your vinyl clad (?) panels.
Take off the vertical thin strips (what you call moulding). Make sure the vinyl clad boards are anchored to the framing (2 X 4). Then tape & sand before the company sprays. They come with a big machine and can spray your whole house in one day. You may even get a discount if you do all the prep work first.

Reactions: kbwinter and Maura
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.