Painting a picnic table

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by HilltopDaisy, May 31, 2005.

1. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

My neighbor bid on and won a train derailment of lumber!!! Can you imagine! It took a while to sort, move and stack it, but it's now here and he's selling some. So, my wonderful brother built me a picnic table yesterday, and cut the pieces for a second one.

My question is about painting. He says "Paint 'em barn red, and quick". I need to borrow a sander first and do the seats and tabletop. Do I paint the underside too? I vaguely remember painting a table years ago that blistered something awful. What type of paint do I ask for at the hardware store? Anything else I should know? Thanks in advance!

2. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

I would not paint it if exposed to weather. It will peel after awhile no matter what is used.

Better to stain it with an oil based stain. It will need a coat every year or two but in the long run will be a lot less work and maybe less money. Good if the first time, give it a coat, wait a week or so and give it a second coat of stain. The "Solid" stains that have a pigment that sort of look like paints are nice. They should shed water when wet.

Yup I would do all surfaces. Good to flip it up on the back, stain everything in sight, set right side up and do it again.

3. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I had a bunch of wood pieces for assembly into park benches and I ended up dipping them. I put in a small nail for a hanger and would dip them in a container of the stain and then hang them out to dry on a clothes line. Went really quickly once you got going and you basically ended up covering all sides of the board (a good thing) in just a few seconds. I stained all the parts for the park benches in under an hour. I wouldn't have wanted to think about how long it would have taken even if I sprayed the things after assembly.

4. Dreams30

Dreams30 Lady Rider

DO not send a kid under the table with a paintbrush.... :rolleyes: My DS may never forgive me for how long it took to get paint out of his hair... :rolleyes:

5. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Don't paint. Stain, maybe, or treat it with water repellant, but don't paint. Paint mildews, peels, blisters, needs repainting.

I built our picnic table about 25 years ago. It's out on the patio now, in its naked glory, lookin' fine.