Painting a mobile home deck/floor

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cyngbaeld, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

This mh of mine was purchased used and the floor coverings were removed. Haven't had money to replace them yet and was thinking of painting the floors in the meantime. Main reason being that you cannot mop this decking material. Anybody do this and have some pointers?

2. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

I think you need to use two coats of deck paint to do a wooden floor inside.

This is just from watching HGTV and thnking about it.

Angie

3. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

My cousin was on disability before she passed away of lung cancer. Saying that so you will understand why she went the route, had hardly no money. She got floor tiles from the Dollar Store for $10.00 a box. They were the stick on kind. I think that would be just as cheap as using deck paint, and would be lots easier to clean. Her kitchen looked real nice when her son finished putting them down.

4. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

My first house (self- built) had plywood floors with two coats of forrest green porch enamel on them for nine years, or so. It looked fairly presentable and it could be wet mopped with no problems. Way cheaper and easier than any tile at any price. Even if you got the tile for free, the adhesive would cost more than a few gallons of porch paint. Good luck.

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Thanx, I can't handle the outgassing from adhesives or vinyl and self stick doesnt' always stick. That is what is in the kitchen, or what is left of it. I have to finish ripping it out.

6. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

Put a couple of coats of any good paint on it and a coat of shelac or two and no body will probablly even notice

My dining room is that way right now , as I couldn't make my mind up when I started rehabing this house so I painted it dark brown with paint I had left over from trimming the front doors and windows outside. a well placed rug and folks don't seem to know.

Think I'll leave it that way

7. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Have painted several wood, waffer board, concrete and partical board floors. I would recomend you patch all the seams, screw holes if any and any other holes or deep spots first. Second use a decent primer (exterior type). Third apply two coats of paint and follow that with a few coats of polycoat. Your floor will look great, wear well, clean easily and last for many years. And you can change it by lightly sanding off the gloss and repriming and painting when you get sick of the color! sis

8. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Most Sherwin-Williams stores have mismatched paint for $3 to $5 per gallon . Just last week I painted the floor of a rental with their best waterbase enamel for a total of $15. I painted to seal the floor and to stop odor from pet pee coming off the floor. This make a decent fix.

9. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

We have refloored our whole house and can't afford the hard wood floors yet, and were worried about over wintering and ruining the wood because like you said...you can't mop it. We bought some outdoor carpeting, like the kind you put on decks or patio's. It's plastic but looks like carpet. I was only use to the old kind that poked your feet, but the new kind is lovely. You actually have to feel it with your hands to know it's plastic. It looks like kitchen carpeting really. We bought it at $1.97 a foot for 6 feet wide so it's pretty darn cheap. Used a staple gun to lay it down so you can vacuum it up. Because it's not carpet, when mud or dirt get on it just a wet rag takes it off the carpet and keeps it looking nice.

Just something to think about...and not as hard as painting, lol.

10. FiddleKat

FiddleKat Mother,Artist, Author Supporter

Those tiles are a great idea, however you might need a plywood subfloor be put down first in order to make them stick.
    Is the floor decking like plywood? Or is it like 2x6 boards? If there is already just plywood, it might work without having to get more plywood.
    I've used those tiles directly over old linolum and worked okay. Except in my laundry room I didn't clean the floor well enough first so now some a peeling up.

11. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

what do the painted floors look like? does anyone have any pics to post of theirs?

12. farmergirl

farmergirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Our mobile home flooring was getting soft in places (old particle board), so instead of pulling it all up we did a 3/4 inch plywood overlayment. Only problem is that the plywood has some knots and other low spots in it. I've heard of a product called "Ardex levelling compound". Would that be a good choice? I think it's like a flexible cement. Also, would you recommend a dark or light color to best disguise the plywood?

13. Columbia,SC.

Columbia,SC. Thats MR. Redneck to you

you can buy the self stick tiles cheap, ours where .29 a sq. foot. before I laid them I painted the floor with a roller and some stain kill. It only costs $10 a gallon and will paint 400 sq feet. the paint will give you a fresh clean surface to lay the tiles on. Mine have stuck like glue!

14. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

Big lots or odd lots whatever they call it where you live has a good basement floor paint usually at five bucks a gallon. Only three colors, brown, grey and green , but a very good paint for floors I have used it in clients basements with no complaints.