Painting a goat sign.

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milking Mom, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

I was thinking about painting a goat sign to put up by our front gate. What do you think about using metal, like the front of an old washing machine (you know that flat front panel), it is white, and painting on that. But if you do paint on metal what kind of paint would stick to it? or....would painting on treated plywood be better? Which would last longer in your opinion?

2. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

If you have an old washing machine then I'm assuming it has 4 sides. Why not cut out the letters you want from that metal then attach them to treated plywood?

My nephew did us a sign made from horse shoes in his high school metal shop class. All it cost was the price of the shoes and it looks great.

3. lhopkins

lhopkins Member

My husband makes my daughter's pen signs (shape of her nubian and saanens) out of sheet metal. He sands it, primers it, and the paint he uses is the 99 Cent spray cans from Wal Mart. This covers well and so far has lasted. The metal will last longer than the wood (no rot) but may need to be re-painted (like the wood would)

Hope this helps.

Leslie

4. tiergarten-CO

tiergarten-CO Well-Known Member

hi there Milking mom
    Since I do this as a living ( decorative painting) I thought I would jump in here and reply. Yes you can use the metal... you can buy the little bottles of paint from a Michaels or Hobby Lobby store they are acrylic.. You can buy the Fokl Art Deco Art etc.. doesn't matter. They are around 1 dollar a little bottle.
    When you are ready to paint spray some matte sealer on the metal ( light coat) so your paint has some tooth and something to adhere too. makes painting LOTS easier. After you are done use a high gloss sealer whatever you want really. Like someone mentions the 99 cent one from walmart will do fine but make sure the sign is not in direct sun because it can yellow after a while ( if the metal is white that is)
    make sur eyou reseal every six months or so then you should not have problems. i paint metal mailboxes and if i tell the costumer to seal every six months they can keep their mailboxes for many years.. have had costumers that had theirs for 4 years.
    You can also use wood. would be the same. If it is out in the elements you should reseal anyway. Wood is lots easier to paint on but metal loks more unique..
    Hope this helped
    kerstin

5. Milking Mom

Thanks for the ideas. :)

6. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

Milkingmom, I am wondering if you could find some those letters like you use on mailboxes and glue magnets on the backs. This way you could change your sign as needed. (Goats for sale, milk for sale on so on.) This way you could change your sign easly as needed. I think that you can buy those rubber magnets in sheets at craft stores and cut them easly. I don't have a way to cut metal, but have wood working tools that I could cut out letters or pictures. Put your herd name at the top. Better stop before I get to motivated and start another project. I've got enough hands in the fire already. Good luck and lets us know how your sign turns out. :)

7. Milking Mom

Hmmm..... got my wheels turning........ I really wouldn't know how to cut out letters on that old washer . I'm thinking it is porcelein covered and would shatter when cutting. I too have a nice scroll saw and a jig saw for cutting wood. That would make a nice sign. Something cute I saw also at a friend's fishing cabin at the lake was a treated plywood board and they used a rope to write out their name and lot number and then they varnished it. Now I'm not going to get any sleep tonight from trying to decide what to do. :p

8. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Well If you use wood seal it good, edges etc. I suggest (depending on where you live) find a sign supply and get MDO outdoor sign board. Regal Plastics if you have one sells to the public. They also have 040 Aluminum in different colors and sizes. I personlly like your idea of painting on your old wash tub using tiergarten's suggestions. Another option is to call a local sign shop and ask them to cut you the letters you want. For instance they probably have a minimum ranging from $15 to $30. so you should be able to have your Farm Name , type of goats , ph number , address etc 4lines for that amount. Then all you have to do is stick it on . Just tell them the size of your sign face, color vinyl you want and what font you want.

9. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

On my wooden fence up front, husband has a picture framed in piece of metal, done with treated wood to match the fence. On this piece of metal I put my sign I had made for my truck. Back before they changed my address and area code, I would take the sign off the fence and put it on my truck when I left to go to shows. So the sign did double duty.

Now I have this beautiful fance vinyl sign that Sondra above, did for me! It's in my show colors, I keep it above the dairy sink in the milk room and take it down to go to shows with me.

A fence sign of some sort is going to be a must if you sell milk. Vicki