Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have those drop ceilings in 3 rooms of our house. They are stained from cigarette smoke and just general dirt. Any tips or tricks on painting these squares. They are like foam deals, 3ft x 2 ft roughly, maybe a bit smaller. I reckon best to take them down and paint each one seperately then paint the frame??? Ive done loads of painting but not these type of ceilings. Any tips/tricks would be apperciated. Thanks

Keep your powder dry

·
Defending the Highground
580 Posts
I would prime them first with a good quality primer like Zinsser or Kilz, then paint them.

I have painted a dropped ceiling and have taken out all the pieces and painted the frame and each square separately. The finished result is worth it.

RVcook

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
I have painted them and replace them. Replace them is easist and not much more than painting. Go to any industrial suply house and price them before you buy the paint.

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
I would look at replacing the tiles. Even if you don't have enough to do the whole house, you can do a few at a time.

If the smoke is really heavy, it might be difficult to cover them with paint, unless it is sealed.

An absorbent type tile might call for a single coat, let it dry, and do another coat after that. Kinda like painting a cement block wall for the first time. The tile might want to suck the moisture out of the paint, and letting the first coat time to dry might help seal it.

Just a thought. Hard to tell without seeing it, and just trying to give you a few ideas if you run into problems.

Clove

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
If the drop ceiling was clean then I would paint over it with acoustic tile paint to preserve the sound deadening quality of the tile. (yes I have done this before). You would use a roller to paint each tile.

However tiles that are heavily smoke stained are going to be extremely sticky and some of the stain might mix into the paint. I would probably replace smoke stained ceiling tiles.

deb
in wi

·
Registered
490 Posts
We have done it all ways and the best by far is just take em down and buy new ones!!!! Last year we replaced them and considering the time, $, and frustration invovled with painting, buying paint, and timewise we wondered why in the world we ever messed painting them before!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks people. This is not a must do project right away. I was just curious what i may get into. They are stained but not real, real bad. Just a nice nicotine yellow. Thanks for the ideas.

Keep your powder dry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts