Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH bought a cast iron drop biscuit pan for me at an auction. I've had it at least 5 years wondering what to do with it, how to clean it so it would be safe to eat food cooked in it because some brain trust painted it black. I'm sure it graced some kitchen wall until the lady of the house decided to redecorate. Anyway, I've thought about sandblasting, putting it in a small fire or sanding but never felt comfortable that any method would remove all the paint and residues. I was just reading a website suggested in another thread on CI cookware and I'm still in a quandry. Thanks for suggestions.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/SandingCastIron.htm

·
Registered
905 Posts
MOgal
Paint can be removed with paint removers, enamel can be not removed. Paints do not withstand frying oil temperatures. Enamel COULD be sanded off or grinded away, both of which could damage the cast iron too. I can not tell you anymore but that is what I found on cast iron stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Joe. I didn't know if the paint/enamel/solvent would penetrate the iron like oil will do when you season the CI piece. It looks like the pan will continue to be a wall hanging.

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
MOgal, I would just stick that pan in the woodstove and let the fire burn the paint off it. It might take a hot fire to do it, but then just wirebrush it and reseason it.

Worth a try.

·
Premium Member
6,622 Posts
Are you sure it was painted? My heavily used 10" pan is shiny black. It could be mistaken for paint. I've been using it for over 40 years. My newer ones (20 yrs. old) don't have the shiny black look because I haven't used them as much.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope, it's definitely painted because you can see where there are large areas that have chipped off.

Don't want to burn it inside due to fumes but will the next time we have a brush pile outside.

Thanks for all the good info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts