Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a large wood porch on back of my house. A few years ago I spray washed it and used a stain recommended by Lowes. It is now pealing off fthe bear wood..........any suggestions of something else to use. the sun hits it durning the day. thanks for any help you folks can give me..........Sue

·
Registered
318 Posts
I just went to Farm & Fleet yesterday and bought some Cabot deck stain. The stuff isn't cheap, but everytime in the past I have gotten cheap with paint or coatings it always costs me more money because I have to use more product and more of my labor.

I spent the day yesterday pressure washing 3 decks. We will see how long this stain lasts.

·
Registered
746 Posts
If a product that forms a hard coating is placed on a deck before it completely dries, I'm talking a couple years here, then the shrinkage will cause the coating to crack and flake off. Not necessarily a failure of the product.
If the stain is pealing I wouldn't paint over it.
Since the wood already has one type of product on it you will want to put back a similar product. The new application will melt the old and meld together to a certain extent.

I've had the best luck with turpinetine and boiled linseed oil mixed 50/50, the same mix for tool handles. Pigment can be added to this mix. It doesn't form a hard coat.
It lasts for a couple years as apposed to Thompsons water seal that last one, then reapplication is necessary.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts