Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a home remedy for this? They are so painful. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Depends on what is causing them, of course, but here's a trick we use. Take a tennis ball and lay down on the floor. Put the ball under your back in the trouble spot and slowly relax on it so that it is providing pressure to that exact spot. Focus on deep breathing and slowly relax all your weight on the ball. Then roll the ball to the next spot and do the same. It amounts to the same thing as pressure point or trigger point therapy. Be aware that sometimes the nerve connections will cause there to be referred pain in other, seemingly unrelated areas. For example, pressure by dh's shoulder blade will almost always cause intense pain referred down in his thumb. When the muscle releases, the thumb pain fades also.

Disclaimer: if the tennis ball thing feels horribly painful, for heaven's sake stop! It works great if the problem is contracted muscles. It could worsen the problem if you have a cracked bone, or kidney infection or whatever. Consider the source of the information (some beanhead you've never met on the internet!) HTH!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your reply. It has helped some.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I have been drinking water, eating bananas, taking potassium tablets too. I have had some relief with the tennis ball technique and also from rubbing cod liver oil on the back. Ice has helped some, heat aggrivates it.

I am also taking Tylenol PM alternating with aspirin. It helps some too for awhile.

Just today I googled back pain and found an interesting article on somatics and the Landeau reaction. I am excited because it makes sense to me and seems to describe my problem pretty well. It talks about re-training your brain, which can be done.

thanks for the suggestion.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
What do you think is causing the pain? Did you fall or have some type of trauma? Is this a chronic condition that you have had for quite a while? Is it constant or does it come and go? Is it better, worse, or the same after a night's sleep?

As an ex-massage therapist, I tend to look for what is causing the muscle to continue to contract. Have you tried hot or cold therapy? What kind of pain is it--stabbling, burning, tingling?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have always thought the pain was caused by spams. But I am re-thinking this now after my last bout of pain. I have had this problem intermittently for over 20 years. It is not from an injury. Now I am looking into somatic-type exercise for what I believe to be tight back muscles. Not exactly a spasm just rock hard from time to time. Have you heard of this? My back often just feels tired. I am in good health and exercise regularly. I do not think it is from a calcium or potassium deficiency. Chiropractic manipulations have not really helped. I think somatics is probably like yoga. I am willing to give it a try. Thanks for your post!

I would say the pain is like labor pains, it grips you and then lets go and then returns. Each episode lasts about 24-48 hours. Cold therapy helps some. No tingling or numbness.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Read up on trigger point therapy and see if that describes what you're experiencing.

Not to be too personal, but what's your tummy look like? If you have a protruding belly, that can chronically stretch your back muscles. Then they are weak and the slightest injury can cause them to spasm. Yoga or other stretching programs might help relax the contractions, but you will need to address the cause of them or they will continue to come back. If your back muscles are weak, as most people's are, then you might need to slowly add a few light exercises to strengthen your back. The operative words here are SLOWLY and LIGHT! It does no good to overdo.

What area of your back is involved? If it is low back, then I would definitely consider the need to look at your profile! Also workwise, be sure to lift properly and not to lift heavy loads when twisting. If it is mid back, it is more likely to be a strength thing. If upper, you might check to see if your work all day with your shoulders rounded forward (like they are when typing!). That also chronically stretches the upper back muscles.

Back in the day, when I was a therapist and not a sheep farming homeschooler, we used to follow the pattern of 1. trigger point release, 2. gentle stretching and heat, 3. light toning, 4. strengthening exercise and stretching. All of these steps over time, and moving on to the next one only when the tissue was responding well to the current step. HTH

·
Banned
7,802 Posts
Southpaw, I've been a practising crystal and color therapist for the past 35 years and have had several clients with the same problem. From a stones/crystals perspective here is what has helped them.

Bloodstone is a vibrational healing stone that has been used by midwives and natural healers for thousands of years. It is a type of jasper, it is very dark green with little red specks in it - it is anti-spasmotic, pain-killer, anti-inflammatory, energy boosting, muscle strengthening and a toxin remover that can help flush excess lactic acid out of the muscles.

If the muscle spasms occur in the lower back you can put pieces of bloodstone in back hip pockets, or you can fasten a string of bloodstone beads around your waist. If the spasms occur in the middle of the back or between the shoulder blades you can safety-pin a string of bloodstone beads to your shirt collar so the string hangs under your shirt down along the length of the spine.

Placement of bloodstone can bring pain relief and stop spasming within 5 - 10 minutes.

:)

·
Registered
694 Posts
Southpw
You are on the right track - and one or two others.
Do not look for symptomatic relief.
Look for and try to determine what is the cause/etiology of the spasm/pain/symptom and then decide on what course of help/relief is best suited.
Can't fix a headache until you take the ax out of your head.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ovsfarm said:
Read up on trigger point therapy and see if that describes what you're experiencing.

Not to be too personal, but what's your tummy look like? If you have a protruding belly, that can chronically stretch your back muscles. Then they are weak and the slightest injury can cause them to spasm. Yoga or other stretching programs might help relax the contractions, but you will need to address the cause of them or they will continue to come back. If your back muscles are weak, as most people's are, then you might need to slowly add a few light exercises to strengthen your back. The operative words here are SLOWLY and LIGHT! It does no good to overdo.

What area of your back is involved? If it is low back, then I would definitely consider the need to look at your profile! Also workwise, be sure to lift properly and not to lift heavy loads when twisting. If it is mid back, it is more likely to be a strength thing. If upper, you might check to see if your work all day with your shoulders rounded forward (like they are when typing!). That also chronically stretches the upper back muscles.

Back in the day, when I was a therapist and not a sheep farming homeschooler, we used to follow the pattern of 1. trigger point release, 2. gentle stretching and heat, 3. light toning, 4. strengthening exercise and stretching. All of these steps over time, and moving on to the next one only when the tissue was responding well to the current step. HTH
As far as the area of the back, I would say it varies with each episode. Sometimes it is upper right side, sometimes mid left side, etc. It is not a lower back problem. It is always the musculature area that is affected.

By any charts I have seen, I am not obese, however, any extra fat I have is on my tummy. I do try to stay toned and strong so I am baffled that I could be so weak. I do sit at a computer for long periods of time and notice my upper shoulder area getting tense.

I think trigger point therapy is the key here.

Thanks for responding

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Here's a few stretches that I LOVE for upper back tension and pain!

Sit or stand with hands down at your sides, palms facing backwards. Move your hands back and upward, focusing on squeezing your shoulder blades together. (In toward your spine, not toward your ears) Do this and release 5 times, holding for a count of 5 each time. That gets your rhomboid muscles really well. Next, move your arms out to the sides, palms facing front, and squeeze the shoulder blades again. Finally, raise your arms above your head, palms forward, and squeeze the shoulder blades again. This one is hard to get as much squeeze going as the other positions, but is important to do also. Each position works a slightly different part of the back. If you have severe pain, stop and get a professional to help you in person. If it's not all that painful, continue to do these a couple of times a day and they will strengthen your upper and mid back area and will help to protect it from becoming easily strained with slight exertion.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks ovsfarm, those exercises feel good, especially the second one. Thanks for posting. I will incorporate them into my day and I think that will help a lot!

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Glad they're working for you. PM me in a few weeks and let me know how you're doing. Over that time, you should be able to tell a difference in the intensity and/or duration of the spasms. You could also look up various strengthening exercises for your rhomboid and trapezius muscles, also your lats (or latissimus dorsi). As always, begin strengthening exercise slowly and build up over time. You will lose all your progress if you overdo and cause the muscle more injury and strain than improvement.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ovs, will do!

Naturelover, I am not familiar with crystals but it does sound interesting. I will check that out as well. thanks for posting about it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts