Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have and deal with chronic pain--how do you cope?? I went to the dr. last fall because I was suffering so much, not sleeping, just really hurt in muscles and joints or itched. After blood and urine tests, xrays (chest, joints etc)--I was pretty much told it was depression and that I could take anti-depressants and would feel better. I refused--saying that I really was not depressed. I have a wonderful life--my kids are grown and have done very well and are happy and healthy, dh and I are closer than ever, we have extra $$, we were awaiting our first g'son, I loved my job! Yes, there are a few days every-now and then- that I get down and out but in the whole picture--I feel blessed, happy and excited about life!

I still hurt! My back and shoulders, knees are so 'tight' that I have a really hard time bending down (squatting), my left foot feels almost like it is broken when I stand on it for the first time. When I drive or ride for more that 15min., I walk like a 80yr...As long as I keep going I am ok...but let me rest for a few minutes and it takes as many minutes to get going.. Stairs are getting hard to mange--at certain times..

So, how do you mange?? Have you change your diet and had success--I eat healthy--little meat, lots of fresh homemade food, very, very little little junk (a Pepsi once every couple of days) and my only vice is sweet tea--no drinking, smoking. I exercise and work most of the day (staying busy for fear of pain)!

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,462 Posts
You need to go to a rheumatologist. Something is wrong.

Huggs,
Rose

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
You sound to me like you have arthritis. Most of what you described is how I was when it first started hitting me good. After being a lab rat for 2 years, they finally put me on Prednisone, and I feel great now. It's amazing what a little 5mg tablet will do for you each day. If your feet and maybe ankles are bothering you, try soaking them in a good hot bath. Usually helps me out pretty good. If not, then maybe see about getting a shot of Cortizone in your bad joints. Amazing how that will help you also.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Yup! Second opinion! I've been very sick for 2 yrs but symptoms going back 20. Just because they haven't figured it out with a few tests doesn't mean there isn't something there. Something finally lit a light bulb in my drs mind and he's finally delving a lot deeper to figure out the cause.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
you need a different doc.

nobody can diagnose you online.

I can name some suspicions though, that might help you web search likely suspects.

The foot problem could be plantar fasciitis.

Some cases of depression manifest as the upper body symptoms you mention, plus fatigue, without much sadness. technically this doesnt meet diagnostic criteria but anti depressants seem to help some folk with these symptoms. a lot of docs use 'depression' as a wastebasket diagnosis for whatever stumps them though.

do you have time for yoga?

do you have the tender points that diagnose fibromyalgia? the muscle relaxant 'flexeril' helps many fibromyalgics because of its ability to improve sleep quality.

have they ruled out sleep apnea? sleep disturbances can cause diffuse pain.

have you tried anti inflammatories?

how old are you? is polymyalgia rheumatica a possibility?

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Go searching on the web for info on fibromyalgia. That wouldn't show up on blood work. Arthritis would have shown up in a rhuematoid factor in your blood. Lots of folks here with fibro to offer help and support if that might be the DX. Usually treated by a rhuematologist though current research seems to be leaning toward it being a neurological problem and some folks have more success being treated by a neurologist.

PQ

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Fibro is thought to be (but not proven) a neurological problem with handling of pain signals in the brain so that normal levels of nerve stimulus spill over into the pain circuits at a lower level than normal.

Which is why its getting punted between rheumatology (which is actually an autoimmune specialty) and neurology. The symptoms look like rheumatology but the cause is starting to look more like neurology.

Usually people start by barking up the rheumatology tree because missing one of those diagnoses can be Bad for overall health. If all the rheum things are ruled out then punted to neuro.

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
Get the blood test for RA Called Rheumatoid Factor, in that test the base line on my blood test was 20, much over that and that would be RA CLOSE to 20 and they then test for Lyme's. My blood work came back at 105 on the Factor test. NOT even Close to the base line~!
Lyme's Disease, acts like and the symptoms are very close to that of arthritis.

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Dr. tested for RA and other autoimmune dieases and I was told I had no sign of any! Now that I am retired I have time for yoga and have found a little place near me. I will call Monday to see if they have a space for me. At this point I will try anything but the drugs...I do use Tylenol two or three times a week when I really hurt or I have to be in the car for long..and my sleep has gotten better-- not great but better. Thanks for your suggestions and help.

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
Please consider a TRIAL shortterm of an antidepressant- my (admittedly mainstream) prejudice is what do you have to lose? If some drugs terrify you see if any others seem worth a chance taking them- perhaps some of the older antidepressants which are helpful in all sorts of pain (if with lots of sleepiness and other side effects but less scary ones). Even if you are sure you aren't depressed, chronic pain can spiral down into CAUSING depression which worsens the chronic pain.

Not all arthritis shows up on blood tests. But ask your Dr to look further and get a second opinion if not satisfied.

BTW my chronic pain got better with regular exercise- lucky for naughty me I didn't have to give up eating junk food (though maybe it would help my fatigue!). Diagnosing (thanks to my docs- talk about denial; it ain't a river in Egypt!) and treating (thanks DH- the fancy meds kill me but motrin 200 mg three times a day keeps me straight- and chase it with an ulcer pill) Ulcerative Colitis may have also helped and has decided me against fibromyalgia as my problem.

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We purchased a new pillow-top mattress and boxsprings. I have changed my pillow about 6 times. I have purchased new/expensive/better shoes and boots and don't go barefoot any more :grump: . There is no real swelling of joints or spots. I thought it might be dehydration and started drinking more water. No high bp., fever.or diabeties. I am in my 50's. I tried Physical Ther. and it was a waste of time. I take no otc or prescription meds except the Tylenol (twice a week at the most) and allergy meds (three/four times a yr.)...QB

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
I have something like this too, seems it comes and goes. Like you, it only hurts when I stop moving ... LOL

I finally hurt so bad for so long, I went to the doc a few years back ... they tested for inflammation (I assume, arthritis) and Lyme disease because I'd had a suspicious rash, but all came back negative.

A few weeks later, the weirdness (whatever it is!) went into remission, and I was fine for a long time.

Been dealing with another bout of it lately ... mostly joint pain.

Try Aleve ... it works better than Tylenol. Also a good multivitamin ... I try to increase the protein and especially iron in my diet ... even though I didn't test as anemic when I had problems before, I can feel a definite improvement when I consume more iron.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
I pinched a nerve in my back last week didnt know Id done it at first then had sharp pains running down my left arm (thought i was having a heart attack )
Still cant lift much but work has to be done , the doc gave me pills that make me loopy so they are still in the bottle . been hanging upside down and trying to get my back to pop . the local quackupractors arent any help .
Don't you just hate it when your body keeps telling you your not 20 years old anymore .

·
Premium Member
2,906 Posts
i was tested for arthritis and the tests came back neg but the docs wouldnt let go of thinking it was arty and put me on drugs for it and my symptoms went away. imho sometimes people tests results arent accurate. good luck to you. living with pain bites but i try to keep as busy as i can and i try not to dwell on it but sometimes you need to listen to your body and rest. i also try to remember that alot of people are going thru this and alot are worse off then me. getting enough sleep also helps(which can be difficult when you are in so much pain). again good luck to you.

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
Burb,

The doc said the rash was ringworm, which it may well have been as I worked with cattle and they sometimes have it.

OTOH, they said it wouldn't go away without treatment, and I couldn't afford to fill the prescription for the anti-fungal cream, so I just left it alone, and eventually it cleared up on its own. :shrug:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts