Padlock question please..

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Little Quacker in OR, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Good morning! I find I need to padlock my east gates...I have three padlocks and all need lubricating. They work but have been around for a long tim.

Should I give them a shot of WD-40 or use the silicon stuff I have here to do that? Or, something else? I want to take good care of the lock so that it works smoothly as I do need to use that gate sometimes.

Thanks so much,

LQ

2. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

White grease in the aeosol can with optional straw works well. Imagine graphite made for car door locks would work well also. I've used it with success on house door locks. Even the 3 in 1 sewing machine oil. WD40 is kind of temporary. Its more of a moisture drier than good lubricant. Never tried the silicone stuff on locks.

3. Little Quacker in OR

:) THanks HJ! I'm heading out to put the lock on the chain and keep those gates SHUT!

LQ

4. SW Ohio

SW Ohio Well-Known Member

If you are really worried that the lock will rust shut you could always double lock the chain. Put two locks together like links on the chain. That way you would not have to cut off the chain. One key and one combination so you could get in if you lost a key or forgot a combination (so long as both don't ocurr).

5. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

....................LQ , 3 in 1 oil is good lube for alot various uses. Also , you can buy 3 or more locks that all work off the SAME key at H.Depot if you ever need extra locks and don't like hauling a bunch of strange keys around . I can never remember what each key fits so I endup trying the whole lot before I find the correct one . fordy.. :eek: :)

6. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

i use stainless steel locks there about 4 years old and still look and work like new never put anythjing on them they have little plastic door on the key hole

7. Little Quacker in OR

:) THanks so much guys. I am concerned about this, if I do need that gate I will need it seriously.

On the other hand I can't have it being left open. New people in the neighborhood...small kids... idiot parents.Blows my mind..we are on a river for goodness sakes. And don't want some kid drowning in my pond.

Thanks again for the helpful suggestions and I appreciate it.

LQ

8. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

Stay away from combination locks. I can defeat one in about two minutes. Its simply a waste of money. I have yet to come across one that I couldnt open and know the combination to in about three minutes.

9. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

no matter what, you should oil your locks every three to six months, depending on weather... if you have a lot of rain or live in a humid area, more often .. dry areas, not as much..

after living in texas... we learned to coat our locks with a thin layer of vaseline ... because of so much rain and himidity... as well as a shot of silicon spray in the lock mechanism every couple of months..

Lynn in Reno

10. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Three in one or Breakfree. Don't use WD40. It's a solvent,not a lubricant. It evaporates.