Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Junkman
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a pretty large supply of packing blankets from our previous business. Hubby was going to sell them but I aired them on the line in the Sun and ran through the dryer. Got some bags from Walmart (not cheap) that by using the vaccum would reduce them to a smaller size. Easier to handle and not take so much space. Now they are safely packed away in a large wooden box. Who knows what use they could become. Jklady:cute:

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
I don't have any regular blankets, but I have tons of quilts...nobody better try to get rid of a single one, lol! But then I live alone, so I don't have to worry about that. :)

They just come in handy for so many things, and the way things keep getting made cheaper and cheaper, why not save the good ones for down the road? I also have a couple I keep specifically for picnics, the beach, barbecues, etc.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
We've also got a bunch of packing blankets from our many moves. I keep them folded and stored because they're useful. I use them to cover furniture in our storage building, and I've used them in the bottom of the tent to give a little more padding when camping.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I wish I had some. I would love to have some heavy blankets over the windows and doors this Winter.

·
Super Moderator
9,427 Posts
I wish I had some. I would love to have some heavy blankets over the windows and doors this Winter.

some of my windows only had screens , they are the old kind you would take out by undoing 2 latches and then replace with a storm , when it got really cold this lat year , I took them out brought them in the house used clear but not see through heavy plastic to wrap them almost like a gift , then stapled the edges took then back out and popped them in , it definitely made a difference in the draft coming form the window

·
Premium Member
23,896 Posts
I can't tell you how many we had at one time when dh worked and drove a show truck with displays for a large corp. So many uses have come up. The ones one can get nowdays are not the same,but still usefull. Imagine a downed animal,insulation in the bed of your truck floor if you need to sleep, ect.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
You can buy them at Lowes/Home Depot too. I bought a few when we moved last time.

Reactions: BlueRose

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
You can buy them pretty cheaply at Uhaul stores where they sell boxes. I think they're $3 apiece.
Just looked online and they $8 for regular and $15 for quilted. Maybe used ones can be bought cheaper. I have one and it stays in the back of my Blazer. It works great when I go shopping. I have to shop over an hour away, I cover the food with it and it all stays cold and frozen till I get home. Much easier then trying to pack coolers up.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Old non-working freezers.

They are the very best place to keep all the blankets not currently in use. You can keep it out in some dry outbuilding and not have to use up space in the house.

Moths and mice stay out :)

·
Junkman
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ladies if we were closer I would surely share with you. I just read an article where they covered their windows (they didn't need to see out of) with bubble wrap. I have part of a box and I am going to try it on a bothersome window I have. And, I would surely share my abundance of apples with you. Jklady

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I am going to ask the furniture places in town if they have bubble wrap and could I have it. I thing I will stop at Big Lots and ask there too. I am also going to call U-Haul and see if they have any blankets.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts