Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to sell wool roving in a yarn shop. So now I'm trying to come up with ideas on packaging...something inexpensive and yet appealing enough to encourage buyers to buy. Lots of people put a couple of ounces in a zip lock baggie (especially angora) and that's about it. This will be romney and cotswold. I was hoping to come up with something attractive, creative....well, you know. So what suggestions do you all have?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Do the same thing as MTDeb. I do my roving balls in 100g and then place them in baskets on my table at the farmers' market. People find them very appealing. Another option is to do them like a yarn skein and then twist them and add a tag.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I've seen braided rovings at fiber festivals recently, and they are attractive.

I package mine by the pound in clear plastic bags (I get poultry bags at the local paper suppler) and tie it with a piece of yarn made from the roving. Then I have a small basket with some of the roving in it so people can touch it. I normally have it in bulk, too, in case people want smaller or larger amounts.

How do the balls of roving store over time? I'm concerned it could felt if stored for a long time.

Lisa

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ladies, for your suggestions-I knew I could count on you.

My sister is actually going to do the project & we have discussed the ideas. I think we are going with rolling balls in small quantities & tying the business card on with a bit of contrasting color homespun or even pieces of commercial yarn left overs. May even try ligntly twisting or braiding 2 to 3 finger weight singles to add contrasting colors. Wish us well in the sale. JKWD

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Dawn, for the offer of a picture. But there is no need to trouble yourself. I know exactly what you mean. I have had my eye on some beautiful periwinikle braid at a local shop & I got some alpaca done up the same way at the NH Sheep & Wool couple of years ago. It does look nice. Hope your daughters like them. JKWD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.