Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Love My Manchas!
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im guessing i may have a few bucks born here pretty soon, and my whole herd(all 5 of em lol) are realated, One mother the rest are daughters and one half sister. I idealy would like to castrate one of the possible baby bucks and train it to be a pack goat for when i go trail riding with my horse. If i was to do this, how should i train? When should i castrate? and should i de-horn? i normaly de-horn everything but if hes gona be up in the mountans with me will he "need" his horns for saftey? Does anyone around here have a pack goat or have any advice about how to train and such?
Thanks

_as soon as i have said pack goat ill post pics :rock:

·
Student of goatology.
3,132 Posts
Join this group and ask the experts! I'm not sure if packing with a goat is a good idea when riding horses but they would know better than I would. http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/packgoat/ There's many people in your area that goat-pack.
I wish there were more places to go hiking around my area with goats.

·
Love My Manchas!
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya i wasnt sure, i wanted a pack donkey or mule but someone told me to try a pack goat...so i was like hey...iv got a few spare ones XD
thank you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.